Speakers: all-time worst

What is the all-time worst (home audio speaker systems, not the plastic cabinets or ceiling types) loudspeaker system that you have heard, and why? In other words, the all-time worst value.
wenterprisesnw
Yes this is true. That does not change the fact that speakers sound different (better/worse) than other speakers and that there still can be a "worst" list even though none of the speaker re-create Boston Symphony Hall.
Over the past several months I've spent a lot of time, research, and money upgrading my system. During this time, it was typical that the subject of audio would come up in conversation with friends and aquaintances. Well, one day I was invited to a friend's house to hear the speakers he was so proud of. They were Bose 901's. I was astonished. I was speechless. They sounded like a bunch of 'transistor radio' 2" drivers, NO, no, they sounded like a bunch of old telephone earpiece drivers mounted in a very resonant wooden box. Upon closer inspection, I realized why they sounded that way... Now I'm faced with a serious problem. I wound up buying some very nice stuff, sounds great. But I fear for my friend. He's in his mid to late 40's, he loves his speakers, and has had them for a decade or so. What should I do? Upon hearing my system, he may all of a sudden realize that the past ten years of his life were wasted, as if he was living a lie, a bad dream. It could be too much of a shock to bear.
[email protected], would you deny your friend a glass of fine French red wine, even though he has enjoyed Thunderbird all his life? Just don't be surprised if he does not respond in a positive way. My audio group once had a budding audiophile that visited for the listening sessions, week after week. We assumed he was finally "getting it." I offered to get him a top of the line phono cartridge at a super deal to replace his antique Pickering (or whatever it was). His response was, "NO, I cannot do that, my records are used to this cartridge." Perhaps his automobile is used to tires with no tread as well?
Being a late-comer to this thread and having read most of its contents I must point out that the original question will engender many alternatives to the oft-mentioned Bose variants. True, given the retrospection of the last 30 years or so, there are MANY systems which would be preferable to the sensitive listener. But, even given its many weaknesses, the 901s produce a more realistic illusion than the almost limitless versions of the hollow, cardboard-walled box. Listen to current KLH creations, or any Cerwin-Vega (solidly built but how unnatural) etc....and these are well known brand names. During the early '70s I worked for a high-end shop to supplement my income as a musician.One day we were gathered to hear something new. Amir Bose was there to demonstrate his 901s. A dedicated room was set up with the 901s suspended from the ceiling. The system was fed by a reel-to-reel playing a tape supplied by Dr. Bose. This tape demonstrated various single instruments and ensembles. I must say that at that time, the results were very impressive. Especially the illusion of space and timbre. There was really nothing quite like it at the time. Bear in mind that these 901s were presumably optimized in their setup (Most of you will probably admit that you haven't heard 901s well setup, especially in the typical mass-market scenario where they are typically sold now). Now, I'm not claiming that the 901s are outstanding in any way given today's competition. But there are still many midpriced and lower box-systems which don't present as satifying an illusion. I should also add that I've never owned any Bose product. Finally, we should remember that the presumed goal for this hobby is the enjoyment of music (hardware is of course, a valid interest in and of itself). And that Bose products are purchased and enjoyed by numbers of listeners which would be the envy of many so-called high-end mfrs. PS: Although I've had quite a few fast-food hamburgers in my time, I also cannot appreciate the paint-by-light fellow. De gustibus non est disputandum.