Best solid state pre-amp below US $ 10.000,00 ??

Any suggestions ?
frankpiet
Artg: the only real contender is the new Brinkmann Marconi -but it´s unfortunately a line stage only. Audible superior to the Nagra/ Brinkmann is the Boulder 1010 - but at an out-of-range price-point - at least in Germany.

Next week I´ll be able to audition the Marconi for two days in my system together with a PL-L. As I´m now used to the CAT and PL-P sound I´m looking foreward to hear that comparison. At my dealer both units were on paar and superior to the CAT.
Still can´t get hold of any Aesthetix Saturn stuff in Germany.
Thanks Bhouser, I am sold on VAC Ren 2. All the grace of tubes without any of the tuby artifacts. Ren 2 seems also to be a differential balanced design, which for me is an advantage as I am planning to get an Esoteric X-01. Conversely, I just noticed on the NAGRA site that the NAGRA PL-l is a single ended design, and the PL-l's XLR connectors link to an 'unbalanced' circuit.
Hi All,
You should consider the ARC REF3. I've had the CTC Blowtorch and have the EMM Labs Switchman, both extremely well-regarded SS pre's. I am delighted with the ARC. Excellent imaging, midrange, etc.Much less edgy than the Switchman, and sounds pretty close to the Blowtorch, although I think that it's less fatiguing.

David Shapiro
The VAC Renaissance Phi preamp is based upon the VAC Renaissance Signature Mk. II, not the other way around, the latter having been introduced a good three years prior to the Phi Series.

VAC build quality is widely known in the U.S. to be among the very best of the tube gear manufacturers -- bullet-proof. While I am sure there were good reasons for your conclusion, it is not inconsistent with what I know and the general reputation of VAC here in the States. The Renaissance Signature Mk. II, for example, is a 90+ lb. beast with input and output transformers, aluminum chassis, etc. It's sound may not be to everyone's liking, but talk to anyone who works on high-end hi-fi equipment -- the stuff is really built.

As for my own experience, I use VAC Renaissance 140/140 Mk. III tube monoblocks in my main system. In five years of regular use, they have always functionned perfectly (I didn't even have to replace an output tube until last month).