Best solid state pre-amp below US $ 10.000,00 ??

Any suggestions ?
frankpiet

Showing 2 responses by raquel

Of current production SS preamps that you can find used, the top Lamm (it uses a tubed power supply, but is otherwise fully solid-state) or the preamp in the DCC2.

The Blowtorch is said to be supurb, but it exceeds your budget and I have never personally heard it. Ditto for the Burmester pre's.

The Spectral preamps can be incredible, but they are a different flavor that not everyone will like and have to be partnered very carefully with associated components and speakers.

If you can do without a remote and don't mind hi-fi geek aesthetics, the Lamm will outperform all but a handful of preamps, be they tube or solid-state.
The VAC Renaissance Phi preamp is based upon the VAC Renaissance Signature Mk. II, not the other way around, the latter having been introduced a good three years prior to the Phi Series.

VAC build quality is widely known in the U.S. to be among the very best of the tube gear manufacturers -- bullet-proof. While I am sure there were good reasons for your conclusion, it is not inconsistent with what I know and the general reputation of VAC here in the States. The Renaissance Signature Mk. II, for example, is a 90+ lb. beast with input and output transformers, aluminum chassis, etc. It's sound may not be to everyone's liking, but talk to anyone who works on high-end hi-fi equipment -- the stuff is really built.

As for my own experience, I use VAC Renaissance 140/140 Mk. III tube monoblocks in my main system. In five years of regular use, they have always functionned perfectly (I didn't even have to replace an output tube until last month).