amp-preamp considerations.

what are technical concerns[matching]when mating.have c-j prem.140 and am lookink for pre-amp.considering pass-lab x-1 or simaudio p-5.not stuck on either.using adcom gfp-750.looking for improvment on this.also new to tubes,think i would prefer ss.this amp is like having a small heater in da house.any input appreciated.
machine
Machine

I have had personnel experience with a tube amp; premier 11a. I sold it because it was not enough power to drive my thiels. I love what tube amps do that is provide the inner detail in the mid to high-end frequencies that ss simply can not do; no hype about it.

The recommendation I made to you is an effort to get you to consider a pre-amp that will first and foremost provide the best sonic solution and provide system synergies as to not cause system matching concerns. You obviously purchased a high-end amp you need to drive that amp with an equally high-end pre-amp which will bring out the best the amp has to offer. You also need to consider front ends as well as cabling. What I am trying to convey is system balance. You do not want to compromise the amp by choking it off with inferior components up stream.

Tube amps by there very nature are high maintenance and you need to provide the care necessary as well as select up-stream components to get the best out of it.Again, happy listening
thanks again for responces.source in this system is marantz sa-1.i thing c-j prem.17ls is the way to go.just dont want to ad another tube item in line and loss any resolution and bas control.also,if i go back to ss amp,hopefully this pre would be would be a keeper in both cases.any opinions on these conclusions?
Machine, I think you might want to set up your priorities. Although many heare will disagree with me. Assuming you're happy with your speaker selection, you should then decide on your amp. After that you should consider your pre amp choice. While Czbbl, is correct about the greater amount of heat, maintance and cost of tube amps vis a vis tube pre's. Newbee is correct about the greater number of options and ease of impedance synergy between a ss pre and a tube amp. Furthemore, many agree that a tube amp for better or worse, actually imparts more of "tube" influence than a tube pre. Another consideration is that c-j gear is only single ended. There are many more ss pre's and ss amps that offer balanced out/ins than there are in tube offerings. The Pass gear is notable in that it is generally considered to work best in balanced mode even though they are single ended ss. In as much as I usually recommend cable choices as the last decission in a system, you might want to consider how cables are ultimatley going to be used within the system as well. In summary, I think you should decide what you want to do about the c-j tube amp before going any further, unless of course you have speaker issues too...
unsound,thanks for input.priorties are really only in ? on amp.only other amp in play,parasound jc-1.pretty sure i will end up with c-j prem 17ls as pre.hopfully this will mate well with either amp.got esp.good deal on new c-j amp,couldn't say no.FWIW spkrs. are aerial 10t,i.c.tara labs.would be interested in comments on other ss amps in this $ range.thanks.
Machine, I can't help but think that the Parasound JC-1's and the Conrad-Johnson Premier 140 are two very different beasts. BTW, the Parasound offers balanced inputs and no C-J offers balanced inputs or outputs. While it will probably work, the 850 Ohm out put of the 17LS may restrict amp choices. Some how I thought you prefered a ss pre. Good luck on what ever you choose.