Tom Petty and Hearbreakers Live at the Filmore 1997

This 4 CD compilation was released last month.  After listening to this album a couple of times, I have concluded that this set is my new favorite live rock music album. Up this point, my two favorite live albums were the Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore and LIttle Feat's Waiting for Columbus.

I highly recommend checking out this outstanding album.  The Heartbreakers were a great band and this album showcases the band.  There is great musicianship and plenty of audience participation.  Tom Petty's wry sense of humor shines in some of the songs, too.  There are not many albums that I classify as "fun", but this album in one of them. 

flyfish77

Smith Rock Records in Bend, OR was playing this during Artwalk last Friday nite. I had to ask 'what is this groovy music' & lo, it was this. It is so good. 

Thanks for this. Going to order it now based on what you wrote. (Well, based on what you wrote and the fact that I've long loved Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, of course.)

-- Howard

@flyfish77  That's a strong recomendation as I am in agreement that Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore and LIttle Feat's Waiting for Columbus are maybe the best two live rock/blues LPs.  I got to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers about 18 months before his passing.  It was a very good show.  It was fun to have a band play for two hours and be nothing but hits.  Another senseless loss.   

I just got the 6-LP box set yesterday. I don't have any other TP albums, though I did go to one of those Fillmore shows, so I figure this one should cover the bases. Listened to the first LP last night - performance and sound quality are superb!!!

I was amused, though, when looking at the booklet inside - it starts with an essay from Mike Campbell about these shows. In his first sentence, he talks about how great it was to play the Fillmore West. They did not play the Fillmore West, which was about a mile or so East of the Fillmore Auditorium, where they did play. At that point, the Fillmore West had been closed for decades. There's often confusion about that, but proof-reading is good! 

Both Roger Mcguinn and John Lee Hooker play on multiple songs on the album.  Hooker seemed to be having a great time, which is very entertaining.  The Heartbreakers perform one Bo Diddley song.  Sadly, Bo Diddley could not make it on the album because he had been dead for nine years.

I think Diddley played with Petty in ‘99 when they returned to the Fillmore. 
Elvis is King, but Diddley is daddy