Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli

Showing 50 responses by klh007

Binding posts might be upgraded, and even better crossover caps &  coils than the standard "upgraded" package, structural integrity/bracing, it would be enlightening to actually find out about the upgrade choices.
I second mac's advice, Herbie's threaded gliders, easy to move/position speakers for best soundstage, one position for critical listening and another for everyday living.
David, The Comet/Ion combo is difficult to integrate into a HT scenario, but I use them in a 2ch and TV situation and voice are still correctly placed for TV sources, and very clear/transparent in the room presentation. What are your amp contenders? I can't figure out any way to incorporate the latest HT codecs and use the Comet/Ion except the RCA inputs and have an A/D conversion?

David, I vote for Herbies big sliders under the DIs, stable and allow easy positioning.
Kenny, Please tell us the Class D amps that had you sell off your Class A and valve amps?
Regarding DACs, I second Gary's Border patrol, Exogal Comet, Gustard, and top of the heap AQUA LaScala. I wish I could hear the DIs in Chicago at AXPONA?
The Gustard X-20 is a favorite of Ric Shultz of Electronic Visionary systems (tweakaudio.com), a real modder, the new OPPO Sonica DAC uses the latest Sabre 9038 chips and Dan Wright has a tube mod out, and the HOLO Spring Kitsune tuned R2R DAC is very nice as well.
Courtesy of Mark and Will of LTA, I got a chance to hear the  Micro-ZTOL/ZOTL-40 pair at AXPONA, just a sensational sounding combination that bested a SS pre/power easily, more open, faster, better dynamics, and the ability to portray emotion in a voice. Well built, and a true bargain in the high end arena.
David Berning told me the maximum power from the MZ 2 S comes at 3 ohms, and drops as the impedance rises. There are more products coming from LTA, Mark, and David, keep your ears open. At AXPONA I heard the MZ2S/ZOTL40 combo leave a SS pre/amp of similar cost in the dust, the speaker manufacturer loved the LTA gear and ended up visiting David in Potomac to hear more Berning kit.
Eric must not sleep? He's producing new models on a very fast track, I'm very interested in the DIs.
mdlofnwhr, Please don't forget the LTA tube gear, the 40w amp would pair well with a HT processor, runs cool and the cage covers it all, lightweight to boot, and really sounds great (allowing emotion, color, and openness most SS gear cannot deliver).
craigl59, The Comet Plus DAC from Exogal was designed to drive amps directly and uses a variation of the Wadia digital volume control using a small remote, or an app for your smartphone.
Craig, A DAC that should be on your short list sells used for $1500 to $1900, the Exogal Comet Plus from the former Wadia crew, best digital volume solution and just sounds sensational.
Jeffery, Do the Ulfs give up much sensitivity compared to the DIs? I'm happy the dynamically alive parameter seems to be a feature on all the new Tekton designs. Once the Ulfs break in, please continue to post your impressions.
Vitop, The Brilliance has a much smaller midrange, maybe lighter/faster than the larger pair in the DIs, that may be part of the "more clarity" from the Bs?
The Odyssey amps are very good, Klaus is a character but builds musical, muscular amps, I own a pair of Kismets, safe reliable choice.
Another product similar to the Lyngdorf TADI 2170, is the combo from Exogal, Comet & Ion. The Exogal combo keeps the signal in the digital domain as well, sounds superb in my system. grannyring is right about the future, look for more all in one all digital units coming down the pike. I will be able to hear the DIs soon as one of the posters here lives close to me, I'm looking forward to the audition.
To answer david_ten's question about the MZ2's output, David B told me the MZ2"s max output occurs at 3 ohms, and I can't remember if he said 1.3 or 1.7 watts, this is another contributing factor in how the MZ2 drives the DIs handily.
I'm with imswjm, the TDAI 2170 seems almost too good to be true. No interconnects, 1 power cord, short signal paths, plenty powerful, RoomPerfect, and grannyring has tried to advance it's sonics with other amps unsuccessfully, the unit as is is top shelf. It can take HDMI in, so BluRays get included. Grannyring, have you any opinion on the  ICC (INTER-SAMPLE CLIPPING CORRECTION) ? I'm really surprised the TDAI 2170 hasn't gotten more traction/exposure given the stellar reviews? It's too bad he doesn't own DIs.
@porcheracer, To solve your hum problem, call Mark at Core Power Technologies and give one of their Equi=Core balanced conditioners a try. No risk to try, and many times I've seen hum issues solved on the spot.It's basically a transformer based conditioner that does the job without crushing dynamics, 720-317-9141, https://www.corepowertechnologies.com/      
btotw, Maybe Lancelock will weigh in on your question. He has an MZ2 pre, and has used a ZOTL 40 and the Benchmark amp with his DIs. I think the SS amp brought a little more bass heft and control w/o losing the harmonic richness.
vitop, Kenny's suggestions are spot on. If you don't want to DIY, search around your town for a company offering record cleaning service. We are lucky in the DC/Baltimore area to have Vinyl Revivors which offers every level of record cleaning. You might also do a TT tuneup, especially adjusting VTA, and listening to various heights before ripping your collection.

Direct quote from JA about the Impact Monitors;  

When I first saw the Impact Monitor's array of seven 1" dome tweeters, I wondered how it could possibly work. But its measured performance shows that this unusual design is not compromised—I keep coming back to that superbly even on-axis response—and that the array works well to control the speaker's treble dispersion.—John Atkinson

My Moab review for AV Showrooms mentions why I believe they are a great bargain and check many of my must have boxes, but I also talk about the large size, no veneers only colors, upper octaves resolution can be bettered( by adding a Be tweeter as an option on the Tekton build sheet), and they need a big room to completely disappear, so not perfect but close to the best for far less, and their price point makes them affordable for most of us.
vitop, In reference to your ZOTL 10 comments, I find the LTA gear responds dramatically to tube rolling to match the sound you want with your system. The MZ2 needs to be gain matched with your system, the stock unit may have too much gain when used with highly efficient speakers and can sound a little bright/thin, tube rolling can lower the gain and restore the magic the MZ2 is fully capable of producing. The 10 can also be massaged with rolling glass. LTA and David aren't done yet, more goodies are coming from the collaberation.
porscheracer, Call Mark at LTA and see if anything balanced is in the pipeline?

David, I have heard Greg's Rival's at 2 shows with BP kit, always fun, engaging, wildly dynamic and live sounding, rooms I just want to hear what music they're going to play next. I heard the DIs at Lance's, not broken in and with prototype tubes, very dynamic, great detail along with nice tone and richness, bass a little light and soundstage just needed some more work on placement, a real affordable bargain in the High End, and soon I'll hear them broken in with Mirror Image or Benchmark SS amps. Please give us your thoughts on a comparison between them. 
Lance, We had the MI gear at Excalibur in Olde Town Alexandria, it was one of a few amps to compete with Krell, better sonically and just missing the cachet that was Krell back then. Now I really want to hear your system, before the 1.1 goes back to Annandale.
schw06, Thanks for your impressions of the TDAI-2170, especially with a bias against it being so good. I'm not surprised about the soundstage/imaging being stellar as RoomPerfect is top notch, but your findings about tonal saturation and rich texture being better than the LTA combo is eye opening. I really want to try the TDAI- 2170 in my system soon.
Bill, You are spot on about no buzz about the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170? The reviews are exceptional, RoomPerfect is top shelf, and the Direct Digital amp topology works great, takes HDMI in, integrated amps are "in" currently, why no love for the 2170? I hope the dealer in CO brings one to RMAF. It's exciting to hear about SE versions, and I'm really looking forward to teajay's Ulf review. 
teajay, Thanks for the update! Your access to 3 Tektons will give us a valid insight into each model's sonics and help us make a good choice.

mac, The Lyngdorf doesn't actually have a "DAC". It takes digital in, translates PCM to PWM, and uses that to drive the mosfet outputs. Bill and James are spot on about the 2170, use as a one box "does it all" or why bother. 
The LTA kit is very responsive to tube rolling and they can be "warmed/richened" up with alternate tube choices.
@jcarcopo, perhaps try an Exogal Comet Plus DAC, FPGA and designed to be used as a direct drive to amps eliminating a preamp? Like James I found the DAC3 a little sterile. Maybe try a W4S STP-SE unity gain pre?Ifi makes a tube buffer as well.
porcheracer, When the TDAI-2170 is fed an analog signal, it does an A/D conversion and still does it's digital amp trick, PCM to PWM directly driving the output devices w/o any DAC involved. The Exogal combination of their Comet DAC and Ion amp make another digital amp competitor from the brains behind legendary Wadia.
Both David and I have the Comet/Ion combo, fast, clean, clear, detailed, good 3Dstage, rich harmonics w/o being overly warm, neutral but not lean or sterile.
evolvist, The KDs/3 is not a current product, and the Linn site doesn't show a single streamer/DAC with a power amp built in?
OK, I see the nomenclature now, but it is nothing like the TDAI-2170 or Comet/Ion because it's just a DAC & preamp.
I talked to Eric at RMAF, the DI SEs have specially made for Tekton Eminence drivers compared to OEM in the DIs. He also mentioned a worthwhile improvement in the DI SEs over the DIs, a genuine step up. Eric came across to me as a brilliant, driven, compassionate about music designer who decided to go the unconventional route and follow his ideas, the results speak for themselves. 
      I was in Eric's room frequently over the 3 days of RMAF, the public really didn't know the value of the DIs as most guests I spoke with had no idea the upgraded DIs were only $3300/pr delivered, I heard guesses from $5K to $15K. These showgoers were just basing their cost estimates on what they heard elsewhere at the show and were mostly 2 to 5 times higher than the actual cost. I'll remind Eric to have a banner for the room next show to boast about the affordable cost of the DIs.
    My experience at RMAF is that the DIs embarrassed many speakers and systems at 2 to 10 times the retail of Eric's room. He used top notch Parasound separates, and 5K power cords were nowhere to be found. In the hotel room, the DIs disappeared, stage started 2 feet behind the speakers and went deep and wide, dynamics were startling at times, vocals focused dead center at the right height, very detailed yet no edge or glare, drum kits and orchestral bass drums had room pressurizing impact, and I found myself singing along with some of the tracks on my demo disc. Eric assured me he has more design ideas connected with his patent, so get ready for more disruptive products from Tekton.
     Congratulations Eric and the Tekton team for a successful show!
manati, Consider Cerious Technologies cabling, there's a thread on Agon with many selling costlier cables for these graphene CTs.

treebeard, The DI/Parasound combo at RMAF was very synergistic, you will really enjoy your system, and it's value will be off the charts, congratulations!
cal3713 & greg22lz, please remember that Paul now has a Level 5 speaker cable of silver, expensive but the systems I've heard it in were superb.