Puritan PSM156

Hello All,

I came across this product while searching Power Conditioners. Puritan PSM156.

Does anyone have one, or, does anyone know anything about it, and how it would stand up to or even better the more popular and well known brands?
Ag insider logo xs@2xloganfan

I have one in my reference system.  It is a stellar performer IMO.  The only component not plugged into it is my Coda #16 amp.  Highly recommended.

Looking for help. I live in US. Bought the 1512. My room uses 15A. Which Ultimate cablr should I get if I want to upgrade stock? Thanks. 

Before upgrading to the Puritan Premium cable, try 2 Shakti  on-lines on the standard power cable . Very pleased with the improvement in all areas.

I also prefer my amps (which would include active ATC speakers and studio monitors) plugged into my PSM156s (three stereos and one recording studio).

What really stands out for me is the improved quality of my studio recordings.

I have ordered the PSM 156, with a couple of months to save for it. Really looking forward to having it in my system.

Chose the 156 over the 136 as I'll have my amp, DDC, Dac, network switch, and streamer plugged in.

Also looking forward to my amp hum disappearing.

Can someone explain how the "non-sacrificial gas surge protection" works on the Puritan PSM 156?

If there is a surge, does it shut your components down. Then what happens?

Also, what is the small black button located near the power cord inlet used for.

Thanks for the information.

anyone gone from psm156 to niagara 3000/5000? I've read differing opinions; some prefer the Puritan whereas others say the Puritan makes music sound thin/bright and prefer the niagara 5000. I'm currently using Lab12 Gordian and Niagara 1200, both of which I quite like, but am curious of the benefits/bump in sq of going to Puritan or 5000.

Not sure why this is in the cable sub-forum, but anyway -I did plenty of reading before upgrading my power conditioner, here are some good reads: I bought the PSM156 and am extremely satisfied with the improvements

PSM136/156

Niagara vs PSM

I have the Puritan 136, which I found made an immediate positive impact on my system. I am planning, at some point, upgrading to the 156 in my main system and using my 136 in my secondary one. 

I am curious about the ultimate cable versus the classic one which I currently have. I’m interested in making that upgrade too. 

Can anyone share their experience with Ultimate cable? 

@bluethinker in my system the Ultimate Power Cable was a must. There is a level of noise/grunge that disappears when going from Classic to Ultimate PC. 
I was talking to a dealer just yesterday about Inakustik PCs and in comparing the $2800 Inakustik 2404 Air PC, he said the $800 Ultimate is one of the best values in the cable industry today. 
 IMO, you can get a touch more tonal realism and slightly bigger staging at triple the price with other PCs but the clarity, precision and lack of distortions is on par and often better than more expensive cables. 

Have 700 hours on my Puritan 156 with Puritan Ultimate power cable. A purchase that is well worth the cost. Extremely satisfied.

I’ve had the PSM156 for a few days. I had a 20 amp dedicated circuit installed. Between the two…I think I prefer going directly into the wall with the dedicated circuit. The sound without the PSM156 is un-tweaked. I think the performance of the PSM156 may likely be system dependent. I can say the build and design is nice…the socket clamping force is marginally lean (could be tighter for my liking). I experienced some elevated noise with my Sony TV plugged into it. So…it may be that it’s designed for audio only not necessary AV set ups. I have 30 days to return it….albeit I just placed it into my rack I don’t know that I’m compelled to keep it. I may just get a power distribution box by Voodoo Audio…& call it a day. It may be mind over matter…but I think it’s doing something ever so slightly to the overall sound of the system and I prefer my system as is…just seeking a blacker background and the dedicated line’s come notably closer to achieving it. I barely hear any audible noise with my ear placed right against the speaker. Lumin U2 mini>Line Magnetic 32 DAC>Sugden A21SE.

@twinski66 if this unit is new —and if the power cord being used (Puritan Ultimate?) is also new— PLEASE give the unit or the pairing at least 10 days of on time before deciding… But I do agree with you, that this device may be system dependent, as it seems to show some tonal weakness in some, to one extent or another ‘lesser’ gear, that people then end up not preferring. Some noise and/or distortions we can be so used to (and perceived as warmth, musicality, etc.) that when they are gone the system is not preferred. I’ve seen the 156, in general, being favored in systems costing more than the ones where the unit is not favored.   

I’m going to finally get the Puritan 156 for my reference system. I’ll then move my current Puritan 136 into my office system.

@jriggy - Thanks for the recommendation on Ultimate cable. Eventually I’ll also pick up one for my reference system to go along with the 156. 

@jriggy I have ‘til the 31st to return it.  I’ve plugged the unit into a 20 amp dedicated circuit socket & it sounds better to my ears (albeit subjectively so as with anyone).   I’ll continue to demo it and make a decision from there.  If I don’t keep it I don’t know if that’s reflective of the unit itself.  Likely just a personal preference based on what I’m hearing in my set up.

I can say it appears to acclimate with continued use or my ears are adjusting to what it offers through continued use.  In that regard I may be premature in my early assessment of the device.

Update:  I’m keeping the unit.  I don’t ordinarily buy into component break in…but this unit has transformed and/or settled in since the initial week of using it.  All of the various low level noises that I heard are now gone.  The unit is also transparent.  It does what it’s supposed to do while leaving the dynamics in tact with a blacker background.

@twinski66 Congratulations 👍 Your findings with the 156 mirror mine. My system is deathly silent with the 156, but it doesn't subdued dynamics at all.

I later added the Ground City, but if I'm honest, I can't say there was further improvement. I guess the benefits from the Ground City will depend on the power supply where you live

I dont trust any power conditioner that people dont plug their power amps into (which is almost all of them)

found the synergistic research series of PCs with upgraded cord and tuning modules, my search is complete. Not really my goal to sell you on another more expensive conditioner, but rather just point out the puritan restricts dynamics

@questforhifi you have tried a Puritan PSM156 in your system? And you found it restricted dynamics? 

Thinking about getting a transparent power isolator. The puritan is a conditioner which I’m not sure isn’t restrictive. It's a glorified Power filter

Finally purchased my second Puritan unit, the156. I'm currently burning it in on my second system in my office.

Such an odd journey this world of audio equipment takes us on. On classical music, the 156 has immediately improved the sound top to bottom. When I play electronic music - house or ambient - it sounds muddy and veiled. Why it sounds so different based on genre of music is a mystery to me.

I'm only about 15 hours in. From my experience with the 136, I have confidence things will improve. 

Can anyone remind me what the typical burn-in period is? 100 hours or so, right? 

I honestly don't remember so much with the PSM156- it sounded pretty darn good right from the get go, and I don't recall a large downturn, or a huge upturn after the fact. The Furutech outlet I just went through on the other hand had a much greater variance in sound quality and burn in character than anything else I've had before. 

Typically it is around 200 hours for cables, and I assume you are using a new one that came with that unit right? so that would be my guess. 1 week of constant playing is 168 hours, I would say that is a good minimum. 

@bluethinker I don’t recall a radical change with the PSM156 throughout the break in process.  But that was with the Classic power cord. When I got the Ultimate power cord, it took about 200hrs to settle. Which power cord are you using?

@audphile1 - Using their classic cable that came with the unit. I'll upgrade when funds allow. 

@mclinnguy - Thanks for those estimates. Sounds about right! 

Update - I guess I'm about 30 hours in with burn in. I continue to be impressed with Puritan products. It's possible my ears have adjusted... or it's psychological... 

But my second system in my office sounds better than it ever has. I'm just hearing way more of the music. And the soundstage has increased. The Luxman 590axii has never sounded so good before. 

This is my second Puritan product. Continue to be impressed with the value of these Puritan products. 

After reading so many positive reviews and experiences, I finally bought a PSM156 myself (with upgrade to Classic plus power cord) to replace an Audio Quest Niagara 1200. My set already sounded quite nice, but probably caused by mains fluctuations and external influences from power supplies and electronic devices in the area, it was a lot less pleasant at certain times. It just wasn't consistent in sound quality. The Puritan almost completely solved that problem right out of the box. But moreover, even if it wasn't properly burned in, it improved the SQ in several aspects already. 

I experience a (slightly?) deeper sound stage, it is less cluttered, less chaotic, especially with orchestral music. In addition, I hear a deeper and more tightly defined bass and there is more spaciousness: the acoustics of the space around the instruments are displayed better and more beautifully. Any sharp edges in the high tones of some instruments have also virtually disappeared. All in all, it has undeniably brought more calm and tranquility to the music.
As you can imagine, I am already very happy with it!

By the way, my set consists of a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 streamer, a Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro dac, a (vintage) Marantz CD 17 KI Signature SACD player, a Cayin A88T MK2 tube amplifier and finally a set of Martin Logan's Ethos hybrid electrostatic speakers (with active subs).

Loving what my Puritan PSM156 and Ultimate power cable have done to my system.

questforhifi: "Not really my goal to sell you on another more expensive conditioner, but rather just point out the puritan restricts dynamics."

I've found the exact opposite, especially since I bought one, and it has over 1000 hours of use.

I also recently purchased the PSM156. I also have my high current power amp plugged into it and don't notice it restricting dynamics at all. Very happy with this purchase. The only negatives I have found was the 20 Amp power socket (Can't use my other 15-amp power cords) and I wish it had 8 power sockets in the back instead of 6. 

I have the same experience, the PSM156 simply offers much more dynamics than I have ever experienced before. Sometimes I am suddenly startled by an unexpectedly loud passage in music I know very well 😁

I now have Puritan filters on both of my systems. Without question, both units improved the clarity of each system. I am plugging my amps directly into the Puritan, along with all upstream components. 

When funds allow, I’ll purchase the ultimate power cord and see how that impacts my primary system as a test. 

I guess it is system dependent, but do want to report I am a happy customer. My enjoyment of music has gone up since adding the 136 (first) and now 156 device. 

If anyone is curious and wants to get more details, hit me up on PM. 

I have PSM156 conditioners in three stereos and one home recording studio. I have plenty of experience with the Ultimate PCs and recommend them.

I think Puritan should market to the pro crowd, as the improvements that these units impart in the studio, to me, are far more obvious that in my consumer stereos. Probably, in part to the fact that I am very familiar with the sound of my instruments, especially the Hammond/Leslies (several models and combinations), so degradation due to compromised AC are more obvious there than the difference in someone else's recorded Hammond on LP, CD or streaming.