power for mc452 and c2600

I'm relatively new to high end audio. Had a mcintosh integrated amp for few years and now decided to upgrade to separates. Just received c2600 preamp and awaiting on mc452 amp due to arrive sometime next week. 

I don't know anything about power conditioners and protection devices. currently using monster surge protector. My questions: 

1. what is the minimum protection device that one would use for my equipment
2. does it have to be a power conditioner or just surge protection
3. how much do these "power conditioners" contribute to the overall performance? Can you objectively measure their effect? Can they worsen the performance in any way by limiting power? 
4. is there a real difference in relatively affordable (200-500) vs. higher price units (1000 and above) ? 
5. What are you using and what is your experience with it? 
6. Your recommendation on units with good reputation under $500

thank you 
ei001h
Thank you pokey. I am touched. :)

So far we have not had our home flooded and water levels stayed stable in our area today. Forecast predicting end of heavy rain around midnight in the Katy/Richmond area.

Thank you again pokey, whart and Al. God bless you all.

Dave
Wish all the best to the folks in the affected areas. Electronics and water don't mix well, and those with the giant Krells, Boulders, Levinsons, etc., will have to leave them behind...(little humor in case not obvious)
Hi pokey,

We were very, very lucky. Flooding and mandatory evacuations all around us, but our home and property survived unscathed. Thank you for checking and thank you for your prayers. They worked! 

Dave
VERY VERY glad to hear that, Dave.

What a nightmare this must be for countless tens of thousands of less fortunate people, both now and very far into the future. It further reinforces how fortunate we all are to be able to enjoy quality music reproduction in the comfort of our homes.

All the best,
-- Al

Hi Dave,

I see you are posting (on other threads) so I hope that all is well in your neighborhood and for you and your family.
Thank you pokey. It is as if the storm never occurred for us personally, excepting the USPS delays and the gas shortage.

Many, many others have a very tough situation that will likely take years to recover from. Keep your thoughts and prayers on them.

Dave
We have owned the C2500/MC452 combo for two years, and I drive that amp pretty hard  --  sustained cranking at 275+ watts for entire live recordings (what's that you say?  speak up, I can't hear you).  I join the group that says the answer to the power conditioner/surge protection questions are easy: none.  When lightning threatens, unplug from the wall.  I also second the above recommendation that you toss the stock tubes in your C2600 overboard.  Our tube roll to Telefunken in the C2500 yielded WOW results.  
I can't have a whole house surge protector because I don't have my main panel in my house, not even a main breaker, just a sub panel. My electrician told me it would not be possible unless it is installed outside by the main panel, which I can not do. 

However, I will get be getting a 20amp circuit to my amps. Just wondering, should I let the electrician decide on what materials to use? He said 12 gauge wire. What about outlets, etc. Do you recommend anything specific for our needs that would improve the overall quality? 

I got a good deal on Isotek Polaris, which I will use for my front end components. For now and ill get a simple furman power strip for the amp. I will experiment with surge protector vs. directly into the wall, and update you on my impression. I can plug a regular surge protector into a 20amp line correct?