Does anyone use wood for vibration control?

What kind of wood have you found to be best?
bksherm
geoffkait said:

>>I haven’t misused a word since 1975.
Someone must have hacked into his account. No other explanation for this.

Hacking Audiogon accounts? What is next? Hacking daycare Wi-Fi?
When it comes to vibrations and topics touched here, one more time. Audio/sound is vibration. No vibration=no sound. Is anyone really disagreeing with that?

The issue that geoffkait, and maybe someone else, is clumsily bringing up is influence of some other environmental vibrations on those "pure" sound vibrations. They surely exist, try listening to music with or without jackhammering in the vicinity and notice the difference. Now, I will not go into how (un)noticeable tectonic movements would be during a movement of an amplified symphony.

One is promoting adjusting the sound for better by applying "controlled" vibrations while the other one is, more or less, saying that any extra vibration will undoubtedly influence the sound in a negative way.

I can see that guessing, or gaining enough experience for a reasonably accurate educated guess, may be a tedious and time-consuming project when applying those "controlled/desired" vibrations. I cannot see why any external vibration introduced to a system has to be negative. It is all about personal perception, after all and that one is hard to quantify.

So, no vibration is no sound. At the same time, additional/environmental vibrations are best when they are dead, if your goal is absolutely pristine signal coming from whatever source there is. It is just that you may not like it, after all.

All my equipment sits on its own bamboo butcher block from IKEA. Between the component and shelf I use a mix of Daedalus DiD isolation devices and Cardas myrtle blocks that I’ve modified by using a spade bit drilling out enough to place steel bearings - 4 small first then one larger bearing that supports the bottom of each component. I’m very happy with the results and have spent a lot of time experimenting and listening. On the power amp I use hockey pucks between it and it’s bamboo butcher block. Rack is made with all-thread, continuous threaded rod legs and 1 1/2” thick baltic birch shelves.
Mg said :

When you get to the place in your hobby that you start to realize the audio signal’s interacting with every thing around it a new hobby begins from that point on. Most people I see going down this new path usually go the dampening route for a while because the changes are so obvious. After a while though they start finding that they can’t play as many recordings as they once did. The system will sound very detailed and musical on some recordings but far less forgiving on others.

This is the exact observation I had during my early days in this hobby. Lucky me your methodes brought my system to another level and now implementing that same vibes to your speaker has brought me to very happy place indeed.
glubson
The issue that geoffkait, and maybe someone else, is clumsily bringing up is influence of some other environmental vibrations on those "pure" sound vibrations. They surely exist, try listening to music with or without jackhammering in the vicinity and notice the difference. Now, I will not go into how (un)noticeable tectonic movements would be during a movement of an amplified symphony.

>>>>It all depends on whether you buy into the proposition that electrical signals in wire are vibrations. Apparently you do. It also depends on whether you buy into the proposition that the electrical signals in wire cannot be affected by vibrations from the floor, the acoustic waves or motors and such. Apparently you do. I’m rather shocked that you guys aren’t familiar with mechanical feedback. That’s the squealing you hear when the speaker cabinet vibration distorts the front end electronics. Gee whiz, isn’t that one of the first things beginner audio scouts learn when they start getting audio merit badges? If I didn’t viddy it with my own eyes 👀 I wouldn’t have believed it! Come on, guys!

Let’s take the case that the audio signal IS a vibration, which it isn’t, but I’m going to humor you guys for a second. Even if the electrical signal IS vibrating don’t you think external vibration would affect the signal? Here’s an example. - consider the case of a car going down the highway with two (2) sets of shock absorbers for each wheel, one on top of the other. The external vibrations produced by the road surface would produce an extremely bumpy ride, not a smoother ride, as the two spring systems for each wheel would interfere with each other. It would be total chaos.