audiolab 6000 CDT transport

I've been on a quest for better sound for the last few years and finally got a dedicated transport. Years ago, I used to think it was all about speakers, and maybe the amp, but as I've moved up the SQ ladder, I realize it all matters to one extent or another. The thing I notice about the 6000CDT is everything sounds more refined, with less haze. Bass is cleaner and clearer, the soundstage is more solid with the different instruments and vocals more firmly established in their respective spaces. Vocals most notably sound more realistic, symphonic violins less shrill, more woody. I hear less sibilance.  Dry recordings sound dry, reverb sounds smooth and lush. Definitely a notch up the ladder.

PrimaLuna Prologue 2 or
Musical Fidelity m3si
Tekton Enzo 2.7
Mogami coax speaker cable
Denfrips Ares2 
dtapo
I have one of these, can't remember when I bought it but it performs very well in the context of a +40K system. 
I have not seen any scratches on CD's. I just keep everything clean. Every so often I gently vacuum the slot area to remove any dust.
I also have the Audiolab 6000CDT running in to the Denafrips Ares II; it plays my old CDs from 30 years ago no problem, some of which are definitely not in mint condition 🙄. 
I was concerned with the slot loading, but on my newer, flawless CDs, there has been no scratching of the discs whatsoever. 

Regarding SQ, my findings match the OP's. At the price (£379 UK) for this transport, slotted in to a budget/mid level system, IMHO I don't think you can go far wrong. 

No on the mat question.  Scratches mainly come from user error and not the device. If it were that big of a problem they would have never made it past the development and R&D stage. The last thing a designer or manufacturer wants is returns and bad press. Sound quality/musicality trumps all else. 
Any issues with the slot loader scratching CDs? Also, are you able to use any kind of mat on CDs with this mechanism?
It's funny, but some of these cheaper transports seem to last forever.  I just met an old friend that I helped put together a system 20 years ago and he still has his Arcam DVD/CD player I recommended and it still works!  As to your Audiolab, there are tons of those out in the field and I don't see many (if any) threads about bad sound or bad reliability, cheap transport not withstanding.  
Had this for over a year now and still going strong, reads CD’s that are imperfect and sounds better than any CD player I've ever used.  Slot loading units are also in autos and resist temperature extremes and massive vibrations and work for decades, so I don’t agree with the " Slot loading units are 99% usually cheap DVD Rom Drives"
Would you please comment on the slot loading feature?
Slot loading units are 99% usually cheap DVD Rom Drives, it’s said they are not the best for doing hiend CD replay.

Cheers George
I hardly think this would be considered a top transport for 500 smackers. They say the loading mechanism is from their top cd player. Not sure it’s any better or worse than a drawer. I’ve had drawers quit working. Had it for a week and it works so far.

Hahah... Lolllzzzyy

I hardly think this would be considered a top transport for 500 smackers. They say the loading mechanism is from their top cd player. Not sure it’s any better or worse than a drawer. I’ve had drawers quit working. Had it for a week and it works so far.LOL
Would you please comment on the slot loading feature?  Top CD transports rarely include a slot.