Audio Technica AT 666 vacuum disc

Is anyone currently using it?
I have it on trial, the product is almost perfect NOS, but after about 7-8 minutes the LP loses its vacuum; is it necessary to also use a clamp to get the vacuum for the whole LP?
128x128best-groove
Lol ... you wrote a heresy; speed has nothing to do with it, it’s always a 12 "instead of 7"

it is important to communicate with whoever owns this item.
I was just kidding with you.

The 12 inch 45 RPM records are usually about 7-8 minutes per side.
I just watched a video on this contraption. How was this ever thought to be a win?
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9Im5WkxJhd5QA_GxXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEd...

Looks like something to toss in your audio junk drawer after the novelty wears off. Why not just get one of those reflex clamps with rubber spindle washer?

I think they were pretty good when on the market. But now they’re old and prone to lose vacuum due to air leaks in the system. Given your observations I’d worry about that. If you could localize the leak, you may be able to effect a repair.
@lewm   I am interested in knowing from who is currently using it how long the vacuum lasts, I have to monitor the situation.
The rubber is very soft, without cracks or cuts, as soon as the vacuum is done I can lift the LP and the metal plate without problems.
I'll agree with tablejockey. You are much better off with a reflex clamp. The best one is made by Sota. You should not have to use a clamp with this vacuum contraption as it does have a seal around the label.
Dear @best-groove : I own 3 of them and certainly is way different to a reflex clamp that can’t makes what the 666 makes, I own too reflex clamps.

The 666 should last around 25-30 minutes. Time to time you have to clean the perimeter rubber with the like leather square cloth that comes with and you have to be sure that the LP side that looks ( face down. ) to the 666 is clean to avoid that dust be " clamped " to the perimeter rubber. I own a manual air pump and the battery powered one that sometimes does not works as we need it but you can use any air pump for that task.

Now, 7-8 minutes is way low time and you have to check this: the perimeter rubber is holding by a nylon tiny ( like a lasso. ) around all the inner perimeter of the rubber that hold the LP. That’s that you have to take the 666 in your hands and seen at the center perimeter 666 edge if that nylon " part " is still there around all the inner rubber perimeter. Trogth the time that piece of nylon could be broken and then happens what you are experienced but with out have in my hands I can’t help you in better way.
maybe some one can " translate " what I posted due that my english vocabulrary is not adequated.

Btw, the 666 makes a difference for the better.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
@rauliruegas

well Rauliruegas I have read everything and you have been very clear, no added translations are needed.
I was confident as I read all of the threads here on audiogon and you always intervened by reading that you owned it.
I have to check if there is a nylon thread on the rubber outside the plate because I didn’t notice ... I’ll check.
The AT666 that was given to me in test has the manual pump and the electric pump so it is not necessary to look for extra pumps; and really like new or NOS in short.
If there was no thread I have to invent something to replace it; you who can see and touch the item with your hand would a nylon line for fishing rod be fine or is it better a rubber band?
Can you tell me approximately the thickness of your original thread?
Thank you very very much.

@jperry yeah N.P.
Dear @best-groove : You can use that nylon line for fishing rod or aguitar chord and it has to hold around the rubber with some kind of thigthness. What is difficult is to make the knot in the nylon new thread for it be/stay tight against the rubber but not so tight that the nylon that tear/rip the rubber. if it’s a little loose then the vacuum hold down the LP for short time only. So not an easy task.

You need to check too that the 666 valve is running ok with no loose and that stay at the rigth position when closed to mantain the vacuum hold down.

R.

@rauliruegas very well, only the original nylon thread was missing, I solved it with a round elastic for men’s socks; now the vacuum holds exceptionally for over 25 minutes.
I am very happy, I really think I’ll buy it.
@best-groove round elastic for men's socks, what is that and where did you find it?

Also, for future reference, I remember reading that air leaks can happen with the valve.  If you're not able to correct that then a good bike repair shop may help.
There are methods that are reported to a effective repair to the leaks that can occur to be found with a Web Search.

The AT 666 has become available within my Local HiFi Group and the use of one will eventually end up being compared to a variety of Platter Mat materials and LP Clamping methods in a few different systems.

If all goes well it might show it can do what a Periphery Ring and Puck Weight can achieve.

Is it offering more than a Ring and Puck can offer.
I have a question about the AT666 which occurs to me probably because I have never seen one in the flesh:  I can understand how the mat holds the LP, but what holds the mat to the platter?  Does it generate vacuum suction on both sides?
@lewm : In this link please go to my last post and in the link down there download the 82-83 catalogue:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/who-needs-a-mm-cartridge-type-when-we-have-mc?page=272

and look the pdf 22 page where you will know on that 666 item.

R.
I had the AT-666 when it was first released in the '80s. The rubber seals were new: they hadn't aged, as they surely have by now if using an old one. Even then, the vacuum was dodgy: it held securely for my Rock records, and I could pick it up with the LP still clinging to it at the end of play.

The vacuum failed on many Classical records. That's not a joke, of course it wasn't the music – Classical works tend to run longer, giving more time for the suction to escape.
It still served its purpose – the worst warps are at the rim, that's where the stylus rides like a surfer. By the time it reaches the lead-out groove, the vinyl is pretty much flat. The 666 held them down as long as the record was playing. Long enough. And on a badly warped record, it was dramatic: all warp-wow eliminated.

I didn't use it much: a) too much hassle, b) most of my vinyl didn't need it, and c) I didn't listen hyper-critically all that often.
I sold it in mint condition to a guy who ran a service digitizing people's old LPs. He called me, furious, complaining the vacuum didn't last the length of the record. I offered his money back, but explained that it lasted long enough to get past the distortions, and he was giving his customers what he'd promised. I suggested he keep it a few days, check the results, and then decide. He did and called back; he was keeping it, and apologized for his outburst.
The 666 was an imperfect solution but still a very useful accessory, if you need what it does. It's also very well-made and certainly worth its cost... if you need it

I don't have much hands-on experience (only at shows and an audio shop or two), but here are two similar products made today:

http://www.i-teqx.co.jp/top/vacuum.pdf

https://www.yukimu-officialsite.com/cvs-1

kind regards, jonathan
Jonathan, Thanks for that information.  If COVID ever permits me to visit Tokyo again, I will look for one of those two accessory mats.  Are they readily available in Akihabara, like at Yodibashi Camera?

Also, I want the P3 shown in the teq advert.
best-groove round elastic for men’s socks, what is that and where did you find it?

I apologize, I have only read in this moment.
I have owned it for a long time but you can find it in any resale of sewing threads and buttons, just ask.
This thread is very elastic about 5 or 6 tenths of a millimeter.

https://i.postimg.cc/mrmk6Bvp/1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/g2qKMtGt/2.jpg

Also, I want the P3 shown in the teq advert.

@lewm that of the link is not the P3 but the PL 70II.

The P3 is the one I have in the photo in the avatar. :)
Dear @best-groove : Totally rigth in the Pioneer  issue, here the P3:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-Exclusive_P3.html

In the other side about something that you have to take with any vacuum LP hold down  is to mantain the platter clean to avoid that minuscle " dust " stay clamped for ever in the LP grooves at the same time that the LP side face-down to the platter be cleaned to protect it and to protect the rubber perimeter.

R.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
raul, didn't you comment a few years ago that you found the AT-666 improved your SP-10 Mk2, even without using the vacuum feature?  Possibly better inertia from the (then) heavier platter?
Dear @pryso  : Nice to meet you again.

On your post it was not me. With out the vacuum you can play a LP because unstability/waves with the perimeter rubber and because you have to change the VTA/SRA .

R.

I have now had the opportunity to Trial a Selection of Platter Mats as made known in my earlier post in this thread.

The demonstrations were limited to Platter Mats only of which a pristine condition AT 666 Mat was in the Line Up, along with a AT 677, AT 600, Tenuto 5mm and a second TT was used with a Platter Produced with a Spot Mat design.

The additional interest during this Demonstration was that Two SP-10 MkII's were to be used Side By Side and were played through the same resident System.

The TT's differed only in Plinth Materials, and one Panzerholz and was on Sorbothane Footers and the Other was Marine Plywood and on AT 616 Footers.

The Tonearms Differed one was the very latest design of a Bespoke Tonearm with a Ortofon Windfeld and the other was a Advanced Working Prototype Design for a New Tonearm to potentially become a Marketed Model. This Tonearm had the Audionote IO mounted on to it.   

To keep the experience able to be maintained as comparisons between the Two TT's I brought along my Spare SP-10 MkII Platter with the Damping Material Intact. This was used once the Spot Mat had been compared in use.

The Spot Mat design when used in this new environment and through this System was quite speedily discovered to be very subdued without any projection that would be considered attractive.

When the Platter was exchanged and the 5mm Tenuto was added the Presentation came quite forward and was noticeably expansive, it was agreed instantly that this was for the better.

Keeping with the Metal Theme the AT 677 was used on both TT's and the difference between the Tenuto and AT 677 was noticed on each TT, the AT 677 had drawn the projection in a little and added a underpinning to the authority. This trait was said to be an attractor and was preferred as it was described as being a more honest presentation. 

The AT 616 was put to use and the result was interesting, it resembled the Tenuto with the Sonic Trait, but was sensed to be a little bit leaner and Airy/Spacious.           It certainly gave the impression of more details being presented and all listeners agreed on how noticeable this was.  Where it was picked up on as being slightly off to the other mats used,  was that it seemed to be artificial in comparison and not delivering the sense of honesty the AT 677 was able to create.

This experience has not deterred me from searching out a AT 666, it is a very enjoyable Mat on a DD TT.

The owner of the TT with a Marine Plywood Plinth has now got my Spare Platter the Mats used in his possession, minus the Tenuto, but I will bring my Tenuto to his home when he has selected his preferred Mat in his own listening environment, and that could even revert to the Spot Mat.

Its a Funny old game when working with these types of Interfaces.