Ampeg Reverberocket 212 Reissue or Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

I am in search for a used tube amp and I am between these 2. I will probably will not have the ability to try them out or compare them by myself so I thought to try here and see if anyone had any experience with these two.

Hot rod will probably be version III though if i could find the IV for a reasonable price I would buy it instantly.

Price for each is around 400 to 500 euros.

Just curious to see to which one you would give the edge and why.

Thanks.

daryldixon
A 2X12 amp is unnecessarily bulky these days, so get a 1X12 version and there ya go. My 2 fave guitar amps are a (discontinued) 15 watt 6V6 based Reverend Goblin 1X10 combo with a 1X10 extension cab (if needed) with the same speaker (Jensen "neo" 100 watt 10), and a hand made point to point wired Burris Royal Bluesman 18 watt single ended tube rectified EL84 based amp head on a Mesa 1X12 (Celestian made for Mesa Boogie) cab. Both are portable and absolutely tear it up if need be.

I second Wolf’s advice to get a low-power (15-25w) combo amp with a single 12" driver. There are a LOT of them available, from both small boutique companies and majors like Vox and Fender. I’ve been on stage with a number of them, and a particular favorite is the Fender Deluxe Reverb. It’s available everywhere, and is very affordable. Mike Campbell (Tom Petty ) likes the Vox AC15 and AC30, Bill Pitcock IV (Dwight Twilley) and Evan Johns the Deluxe Reverb.

The issue with higher powered/more driver combo amps is that in order to get the nice over-driven tube distortion you want, you have to turn up the amp to almost full gain. A small amp will still be at a reasonable SPL when you do so, a larger amp will be too loud. I've had to play with Fender Twin Reverb and Super (Stevie Ray Vaughans fave) amps (both 65w, the Twin having 2-12's, the Super 4-10's), and they are LOUD.

I second Wolf’s advice to get a low-power (15-25w) combo amp with a single 12" free netflix driver. There are a LOT of them available, from both small boutique companies and majors netflix free trial like Vox and Fender. I’ve been on stage with a number of them, and a particular favorite is the Fender upcoming movies Deluxe Reverb. It’s available everywhere, and is very affordable. Mike Campbell (Tom Petty ) likes the Vox AC15 and AC30, Bill Pitcock IV (Dwight Twilley) and Evan Johns the Deluxe Reverb.

The issue with higher powered/more driver combo amps is that in order to get the nice over-driven tube distortion you want, you have to turn up the amp to almost full gain. A small amp will still be at a reasonable SPL when you do so, a larger amp will be too loud. I've had to play with Fender Twin Reverb and Super (Stevie Ray Vaughans fave) amps (both 65w, the Twin having 2-12's, the Super 4-10's), and they are LOUD.

I was playing in a club a couple of years ago with my Reverend Goblin 15 watt 1X10...a really small amp, but loud enough to absolutely tear up a small room, and since it's an open backed design it spreads sound everywhere. I recently mixed a show for the brilliant John Pizzarelli and he used my amp (miked) and it sat on the floor behind and to his right just sounding amazing. He loved the thing.

When I saw Little Village live, Ry Cooder had a whole stack of about 7-8 vintage combo amps---Fenders, a Gibson, a Silvertone I believe, all mic’ed up. Best live guitar tone I’ve ever heard, and his playing was pretty good too ;-) The most interesting amp I ever accompanied was the legendary Magnetone, used by some of the Blues players in the 50's and 60's, and by Jimmy Vaughan I’ve been told.

I had a 1966 Ampeg Reverbrocket with just one 12" CTS speaker. It had a pair of 7591's PP for 30 watts. Loud but manageable! 
Geek out on Fenderforum.com.

HR Deluxe is a cool amp.

65 Deluxe Reverb reissue here. It has been dropped, drinks spilled on it, the tolex is ripped, but it CRANKS! 22 watts with no headroom problem with a ham fisted drummer.

Probably just in my head, but a genuine tubed reverb circuit just sounds right compared to what the HR Deluxe units have-SS.     

It's the player, not the gear. But when get a sound you like, you play more.