802d or 800d

Hi I have the chance of owning either of these speakers for the same money.Is there much difference in performance.I do like the look of the 802ds but they look a bit laterally unstable so may go for the slightly bigger 800ds.My room size is 28 feet by 16 feet.Using vdh fevelation hybrid chord 1200e qbd76 blu transport.Will probably upgrade to a more powerful chord amp soon though.
128x128jasonfoy
Let me get this straight...

Same cost for either and that size room?

No question.  800d.
I propose a third answer - neither. The measurements on both these speakers are fortunately published in Stereophile and they are not at all world class for such an expensive speaker. Basically a boosted treble and boosted bass with a mid range suckout. 

Wilson Sasha is much better.
If you think the 802d is physically unstable - have you tried to shift one?
Methinks surely not.
I had a set of three 802d2s across the front a few years ago and when I sold them I struggled with the ability to move them!
I cannot envisage any normal circumstance where their stability can be questioned.
After a spell away with Proac Carbon 8s I am about to take delivery of 2 800d3s in the next 10 days.
They are on castors so are moveable yet very solid/stable and do not look too much larger than the 802d3s. A point here is that the new d3s are hugely popular, and for very good reason indeed. I originally compared the 802d3 with the Kef Blade and for me it was no contest. It seems that the 802d3 owners are so pleased with the product they are switching to the 800d3 at just a cost uplift, as I have done. There are a number of reasons for this, so if you are talking about the d3s then it must be the 800 instead of the 802.
If the older d1 or d2 then the margin is somewhat less.

I had the 802d2 then 802d3 and just took 800d3.

I passed on Alexias for the 800d3
@tatyana69  I wonder if you have received your 800D3s and if so what are your impressions vs Proac Carbon 8s? Would really appreciate your insights &impressions as so far you are the only person in the entire Audiogon who has had both Proacs and 800D3.. Thanks so much and I shall be awaiting your reply!

All comments are to be read as "my opinion" rather than fact!
Well the short answer is the 800d3s are far more suitable for my ears than the Carbon 8s.
The Carbon 8s it seems did not last very long in the market place before being replaced and it is not really a Proac sounding speaker. I am a Proac fan and my first speakers in the 70's were the EBS which I still have and sound real super.
I have or have had 2.5,3.5,3.8,d15,d28 and d80. I am collecting d100s this weekend.
I am relatively disappointed with the Carbon 8s which I now have as surrounds to my 800d3s. They are a fine speaker but I bought them on reputation alone. I am more impressed with the d80 which suits my ears better and which at present sit in my second system as fronts. The d100 will soon go fronts and the d80s as centre and one surround, with the other surround being a spare 3.8 (which I find to be very good too)
The 800d3 and Carbon 8 are quite different sounds. I had the 802d2 and moved them on for the usual reasons to replace them with the Carbon 8.
I will prefer the d100 and d80 to the Carbon 8 as the Carbon 8 does not seem so fresh or airy as the others, hence probably ideal for a contrast to the 800d3 in the same room.
Probably the 800d3 punches above its weight price wise too. I went to the DCS factory in England to hear the Vivaldi equipment, which was quite impressive. The point of this is that their demo speakers were £140k Wilsons, and I would be pushed to hear any worthwhile price difference between these and the 800d3.
As for the now quite old comment above about measurements for the d3s and therefore do not waste your money and buy Wilsons instead - well that is why you NEVER listen to an engineer for advice on hi fi kit! I bet he has never heard the d3s, so another example of a posting of a useless and irritating comment, especially as I HAVE heard the Wilsons! 
@tatyana69  Thanks so much for your comments.... Have you had a chance to listen to the current production Proac K6&8 vs D3 800? You don't have you system listed so I wonder what amps & cables are you using to a ameliorate the diamond twitter's slight over the top spiciness? (althou I ve yet to hear the D3 800, and only heard the 802D3 with mediocre Macintosh & Classe amplification, as none of the dealers in NY area have the D3 on demo with "proper" amps of my liking). Any comments on the D3 800s soundstage depth & height and in general... Thanks so much !
Using 803D2 in a room 15X23X8ft and they sound fabulous. Me thinks the 800s may be a little much. The 803s are just right for my room size at any listening levels
There is no tweeter issue on the d3s - the d2 tweeter issue has been fully addressed.
It appears that people who bough the new 802d3s are so pleased that they are swapping them in quickly for the 800d3s as the price differential  VERY favourable as some distinct improvements apparently exist in the 800 and not the 802s - hence my own decision to go straight for the 800s. My room is only around 13 ft c 16 ft and they are not too big for me.
Transparent Ultra cables and Krell KAV 2250, ICs are also Transparent Music link. Krell is soon to be replaced with an integrate Hybrid (tube pre, so amp section) for no other reason as my dabbling into "tube" realm.

"I propose a third answer - neither. The measurements on both these speakers are fortunately published in Stereophile and they are not at all world class for such an expensive speaker. Basically a boosted treble and boosted bass with a mid range suckout.

Wilson Sasha is much better."

I totally agree

I'm not a fan of modern B&W, but the OP has a right to make him/herself happy as can be.

If that's the sound you like, go for it.

Best,

E