Shipping - Who's Resposible for Receipt of Item?

Small item transaction. Buyer sent funds and I shipped the item regular post with tracking. The on-line tracking indicates the item was received, but the buyer does not acknowledge receipt. If the item does not show up, what is the next step? Do I refund his money and I take the hit for the lost item, or is he responsible. Looking for advice.
brf
Check feedback and be careful to make sure that paypal items are shipped to a confirmed address. If it isn't a confirmed address, be sure to write the buyer and release any liability to yourself.
The shipper is responsible for making sure the package arrives as stated. Which means opened and inspected and tested to make sure it works as stated in the ad. Once the buyer accepts the product is as stated in the ad, then the sellers responsibility ends.

I'm currently going through the same process, as the receipient. The UPS tracking number showed the package had been delivered, but I have no package. So I called UPS to make sure they had the correct address, they did. Obviously something was wrong. I contacted the shipper and he started a trace investigation, which will take a week to 10 days. At this point the package will either be found, or the shipper's insurance money will be refunded.

If this was a personal sale, I would wait the 7-10 days just in case the package was found. After that, I would expect my money back and let the shipper and UPS figure it out what went wrong. As in my case, it is from a manufacturer, I don't expect my money back, but another of the same item.

John
Audiogon's rules are not binding, but simply guidelines. If you break their rules their only recourse is to bar you from the site.

IMO a seller's responsibility is to take all reasonable actions to enable the shipment to arrive at the seller's address in the condition described in the original ad. This includes insuring the item during transit.

Once the item is in the possession of the buyer, or other houseold member it can get murky. Suppose the buyer signs for the package and while carrying it to his basement trips and the package tumbles down the stairs? Should the seller be responsible? The seller is suppose to box the equipment in such a way to protect it from shipping damage. But then again the buyer dropped the package. Is that really any different than someone breaking a stylus cantilever while setting up a turntable/arm? Is a seller responsible for a buyer's clumsiness?

Suppose the shipper knocks on the door and the person who answer is not suppose to have access to the premises. Say, a lousy crack addicted brother-in-law who knows where you hide the emergency key. He signs for the equipment and promptly sells it on the street for drugs. As a seller I don't see how I can have reasonably prevented this from happening. I also wouldn't hold the shipping company liable. How are they to know who is supposed to be in your house?

Ultimately, both the buyer and seller take a good deal of risk when they try a transaction. This system relies upon both parties acting in good faith and using common sense. Scammers will take advantage of this system. Unfortunately, trying to detail endless rules and responsibilities akin to the fine print in any commercial sales agreement will ruin the spirit of this site and chase away many potential buyers and sellers.
Update... package is still missing. I contacted the post office and they have opened up an investigation/trace. It will take up to 15 days to complete. The agreement was that I ship the package regular post, but I opted at my own expense to mail it with delivery/tracking confirmation and $100 insurance. IMO, it is a no fault situation, therefore, I have proposed to the buyer that if the package does not show up, and there is nothing more that the Post Office can do, money will be refunded and I will take my chance with a insurance claim. I believe this to be a reasonable resolution.
I always make it a point to get insurance on anything I ship. If buyer declines to pay the extra, then it is clearly HIS fault if the package becomes lost.
I always, always, always insure. It's not a Buyer option. For items under $100 insurance is included by the shipper - though for USPS I believe this is an exception.

For a small, low $ item, I may take a chance, but if it's lost I'd probably shrug, and give a refund. At the same time I think it behooves both partys to work together to locate the missing item.

Finally, if you purchased tracking and USPS can show it was signed for, then it's the buyer's word against the Post Office, which in my opinion makes it the buyer's problem, which he/she needs to take up with the post office. This said, I think it's good practice to help the buyer locate the item if it's clear he/she's acting in good faith.