Preamp inverts phase question:

The owners manual of my preamp indicates that the preamp inverts phase: the circuit is phase inverting. Does this mean that I need to hook my speaker cables up backwards to correct the phase inversion... do I hook the positive speaker cable to the negative speaker binding post and visa versa with the negative speaker cable connections on both speakers?
adampeter
Jea48- I did experiment today. However, I was frustrated because I wasn't certain which of my CD's were recorded in absolute phase. My plan was to listen to a cd that was recorded in absolute phase and switch back and fourth; picking the set up that sounded the best. However, without being certain about the recording I didn't see any point. I sent an email to Pierre at Mapleshade and asked him which of his cd's that I own were recorded in absolute phase. I plan on figuring this thing out!
Rodman thanks for the links.

I also have the 'Chesky Jazz Sampler and Audiophile Test Compact Disc Vol 1'(JD37).
Great test CD for testing phase, the imaging test is very good as well, when the imaging test goes off stage far left or right, my imaging goes right to the side walls trying to bust it down.
I have used this test on a few other systems and when the imaging test goes off stage far left or right, the other systems almost go back to center or in that direction, don't know what up with that.

I just happy mine does what it should.
Adampeter- Pick up one of the test CDs I mentioned: (http://www.amazon.com/Stereophile-Test-CD-Vol-1/dp/B0000049XN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231724213&sr=8-1) (http://www.amazon.com/Chesky-Records-Sampler-Audiophile-Compact/dp/B000003GF3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231724265&sr=1-1) They both have tests that will remove any doubt as to proper phasing on the recording.
Al, remember that when you switch speaker cables you are also affecting wire directionality, or so I've read. In fact, I remember Doug Blackburn writing an essay on polarity suggesting that the primary audible change you hear (if you hear ANYTHING) is the effect of wire directionality rather than polarity. IME, there IS a more pronounced effect from switching speaker wires rather than changing polarity via the preamp's remote. Anyone for listening to some music? Dave

Hmm, some interesting food for thought. I'll say first that I am not in a position to take a position on cable directionality, but I have the following questions and comments:

1)Which end did you switch? Interchanging + and - at the speakers would not change cable directionality -- the electron flow would be in the same direction through each wire, and in the reverse direction only within the speaker.
Interchanging at the amplifier end would reverse the direction of electron flow through each leg of the cable.

2)Was your experience with speaker cables that were basically unshielded wire, or did they incorporate passive networks (a la MIT) that might have been direction sensitive, or did they perhaps have shields (whose physical configuration and grounding might contribute to directionality).

3)In this reference, http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/polarity/polarity.html, it is stated that reversing polarity at the amp end can reduce overall distortion, by causing amplifier-generated harmonic distortion to be out of phase with speaker-generated harmonic distortion. I haven't thought that through sufficiently to conclude whether or not it makes any sense, and offhand it is very conceivable to me that it does not, but if so perhaps that was a factor in your findings.

Regards,
-- Al
Al, I switched the cables at the speaker end. The cables I was using at the time were shielded. Doug Blackburn's contention was that the cable-switching affected signal flow directionality of wire and other devices (capacitors, etc.) inside the speakers (soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb101999.htm) if i understand him correctly. Further, he questions the audibility of polarity-switching per se.

Needless to say, self-proclaimed polarity guru Clark Johnsen ("The Wood Effect") opposes Blackburn's views, to put it mildly. I'm honestly not sure who's right. I only know what I think I hear, and fortunately it's repeatable.

Thanks for the 6moons article. Very interesting. Dave