Preamp inverts phase question:

The owners manual of my preamp indicates that the preamp inverts phase: the circuit is phase inverting. Does this mean that I need to hook my speaker cables up backwards to correct the phase inversion... do I hook the positive speaker cable to the negative speaker binding post and visa versa with the negative speaker cable connections on both speakers?
adampeter
My Calypso has a phase inverting feature which can be switched with the remote. Is this similar to your preamp. If it is the purpose is to be able to shift phase because some music is recorded out of phase (by accident ?) and sounds better played back out of phase. Most of the time when I shift phase to check it doesn't make a difference.
The purpose of phase in a speaker is to make sure that all the speaker's all push out and pull back together. when speakers are out of phase, one speaker is pushing air into the room when the other is pushing away from the room...and that cancels out the sound. It's like two sine waves where one speaker is all the way plus while the other speaker is all the way minus.

For hifi systems (stereo or Home theater), as long as all the speakers are wired the same way, it doesn't matter .... all of the speakers will be in the same phase. It doesn't matter which is plus and which is minus as long as all the speakers are wired that way.
For hifi systems (stereo or Home theater), as long as all the speakers are wired the same way, it doesn't matter .... all of the speakers will be in the same phase.

You are referring to what is called relative phase, which means that the connections assure that both speakers are moving in the same direction at the same time. If relative phase were to be incorrect, the symptoms would be extreme and obvious -- vague diffuse images, poor bass, etc.

The original poster is referring to what is called absolute phase, which refers to the outputs of BOTH channels being inverted in phase with respect to the program source. That will have sonic effects which are subtle, but will definitely be audible to some people listening to some recordings on some systems. Particularly on sharp transients, where the leading edge will have the wrong polarity (the ear being particular sensitive to the leading edge of transient waveforms, compared to what follows during the next fraction of a second).

An inversion of absolute phase in a preamp or power amp can and should be corrected by reversing the positive and negative speaker leads on both channels. It would be more problematical if the inversion were in a source component, because correcting it for that component would create a similar problem for the other source components.

Regards,
-- Al
I don't think one's ears can discern the phase of an orchestra or an instrument in an orchestra...and each instrument, each violin, definitely play in and out of phase with each other. So I am not sure how one would record in a way that kept the phase "accurate", given that each time a musical piece is played, the phase of any instrument on any note or transient is random.

A specific recording might sound better with one absolute phase rather than the other, but the next recording (or cut on the cd) could sound better with the other absolute phase.

What am I missing?