Best Rock Album in 2012

Ok folks, let's get another one started. Best yearly thread for us rock fans.

Not really rock, but like Gotye "Making Mirrors" so far.

Cheers,

KeithR
keithr
I accord with Fremer's rave review of Analog Productions/Rhino's double LP reissue of The Dead's 1981 "The Reckoning" acoustic performances recorded at Radio City, NYC and Warfield Theater, SF. This is perhaps the ultimate unplugged album and well worth the $60 ticket. However it needed a good wash to eliminate all surface crud.
Dgarretson- Reckoning is such a great record. Sounds pretty awesome on my standard press. Another good live one is "Hundred Year Hall", but unfortunately it is unavailable on vinyl.
It hasn't really been a stellar year for rock to date to my ears, I must say, but the rock album's I've really liked so far have been

Japanroids - Celebration Rock
Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
Dr. John - Locked Down
Dr Dog - Be the Void

I just listened to Patti Smith's new album last night just once and it's pretty darn good, but I need to spin it a few more times.

The best record I've heard this year is sort of beyond category, I guess it's a jazz vocal record but it's more like a free jazz take on jazz, hip hop and rock (I mean it has covers of songs by Suicide and The Stooges on it), is Neneh Cherry and The Thing's collaboration, The Cherry Thing, although it's not officially out in the States until next week. Not really a rock album tho'.
Father John Misty "Fear Fun" (aka Josh Tillman from Fleet Foxea)

Review and some samples here: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16597-fear-fun/