Rediscovering Cold Blood

I noticed Cold Blood "Thriller" in my collection a week ago, which I hadn't played in a year or so. Damn, I forgot just how good that disc is....the incomparable Lydia Pence, a rhythm section tighter than the jeans you wore in high school, sophisticated arrangements that build and progress until you can hardly keep from dancing in the living room. Tons of fun for fans of Janis Joplin, funk/rock/blues, horn section dynamite and a drum/bass groove as solid as Bobby Colomby and Jim Fielder.
77jovian
amazing how much really good music there is out there that I have not heard - thanks!
Now you’re talking! Lydia and Cold Blood could really bring it. The opening to “I just want to make love to you” has to be the coolest intro I’ve ever heard. While Janis was great, I preferred Lydia’s voice which had a touch more “smooth” and “richness”. Another under the radar singer from the 70’s who could blow your face off and melt your heart at the same time was Joyce Kennedy (Baby Jean) of Mother’s Finest. What an eclectic group they were. Rock drums and guitar combined with funk bass and keyboards coupled with soaring – raw – soulful vocals. They were too hard-rock for black radio and had too much “flava” for white radio. No band I’ve ever heard played and sang with as much musical power as MF. Probably not an Audiogoner favorite:)