12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Mus

Rather interesting info here. Says a lot about popular culture.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus
Ag insider logo xs@2xmuzikat
Another example of over rated western music.

Handel
Messiah
Boston Baroque
Martin Pearlaman
Telarc

a different sort of Messiah. Smaller group. Great stuff.
Schubert....so ticket sales are your measuring stick? And THAT's what establishes Mozart as the pinnacle of human artistic expression. Now I got it!

I also note your deep familiarity with the alternative classical traditions. It is this full appreciation of context that animates your judgement as to the superiority of Mozart, Schubert, et. al.

Upon reflection, I now see that there is no cultural bias in your posts.

Marty

BTW, you been following the economics of classical music lately? The are just over 300 million people in this country and (last I looked) +/- 30 classical radio stations (not one of which is economically self-sufficient). As a statistical matter, virtually no one cares about Mozart. Institutions and a very small number of wealthy, self-perceived cultural elites subsidize (and have always subsidized) Mozart. And THAT money is all about maintaining the perception of superiority of the culture it represents.

To be clear, I am not denigrating the music you love. I'm merely highlighting the sweeping generalizations you've made in an effort to establish its "superiority" to other forms of music (and, when you're on a roll, all other artistic expression).
Well ,this is a forum where sweeping generalizations are about as much energy an old man like me can expand.
Wealthly people are on Symphony boards etc, but the slim
support for classical music in the US is centered in middle income groups like teachers etc.
Wealthly money is spent in self-promotion.

If anyone cares to make an arguement that the West is now,always has been and always will be bacically a POS they wouldn't
provoke one from me.
One the premise that even a broken clock is right twice a day however,I have no doubt that Euro-centerd Classical Music is the worlds greatest art form which ipso-facto makes it very much an aquired taste.
"The are just over 300 million people in this country and (last I looked) +/- 30 classical radio stations (not one of which is economically self-sufficient). As a statistical matter, virtually no one cares about Mozart."

Interesting, when I think of classical music I don't even think of this country. Europe is the birth place and center. Read!! Classical music is not a niche market in Europe. It is alive and well.