12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Mus

Rather interesting info here. Says a lot about popular culture.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus
Ag insider logo xs@2xmuzikat
Indian Classical Music?
It is quite nice,probaly why it sells out venues ALL over Asia whilst poor Mozart scarcely draws at all.
Schubert:

Be nice. After all, this is an age in which all things have to be treated and valued equally. Otherwise big brother will fall on you. And he is heavy.
Another example of over rated western music.

Handel
Messiah
Boston Baroque
Martin Pearlaman
Telarc

a different sort of Messiah. Smaller group. Great stuff.
Schubert....so ticket sales are your measuring stick? And THAT's what establishes Mozart as the pinnacle of human artistic expression. Now I got it!

I also note your deep familiarity with the alternative classical traditions. It is this full appreciation of context that animates your judgement as to the superiority of Mozart, Schubert, et. al.

Upon reflection, I now see that there is no cultural bias in your posts.

Marty

BTW, you been following the economics of classical music lately? The are just over 300 million people in this country and (last I looked) +/- 30 classical radio stations (not one of which is economically self-sufficient). As a statistical matter, virtually no one cares about Mozart. Institutions and a very small number of wealthy, self-perceived cultural elites subsidize (and have always subsidized) Mozart. And THAT money is all about maintaining the perception of superiority of the culture it represents.

To be clear, I am not denigrating the music you love. I'm merely highlighting the sweeping generalizations you've made in an effort to establish its "superiority" to other forms of music (and, when you're on a roll, all other artistic expression).