Does anyone like country

I am just curious as to whether anyone likes country music? I do like some country songs (especially those that lean more towards pop).
chatta
The new Roseanne Cash album is on way to my house. Especially looking forward to "Girl from the North Country"; the version dad did with Bobby D. is a heartbreaker.

May as well add Juli Miller's "Broken Things" to the suggestion list.:)

John
The best country songwriters are great - most have been listed already but I'd add the short lived Delevantes to that list. Harder core country old time writers like the Louvin Brothers have some great moments, even though I'd have a hard time listening at length. Alt Country rockers like Uncle Tupelo and the "nephew" bands - Wilco, Sun Volt, Bottle Rockets - have their charms (I love a lot of this stuff), but they don't really feel particularly "country" to me. They feel more like rockers who add a fidddle or banjo to add some country flavor. 16 Horsepower adds an interesting "hillbilly" vibe to this genre.

I also like some of the country rock women like Kim Richey (great live show), even though they're usually a bit lightweight compared to the Emmy Lou Harris, Patsy Cline, etc class and also edge closer to pop/rock. The Faith Hill, Crystal Gayle, Matraca Berg school includes some really good voices singing music of really variable quality - usually more "pop" than "country".

Country music has also produced some great guitarists, Flatt and Scruggs and Chet Atkins come to my mind first. Danny Gatton is mostly country and the 3 main players in Bob Wills' Playboys band were all wonderful. Pete Anderson, Greg Leisz (lap steel) and so many others, too.

Marty
Marty,
You have made some wonderful insights about country music and the vocal as well as guitar talents.
For some texture which builds upon country super stars fame, check out The Flatlanders and the 3 guys who spun off from that group. Joe Ely in particular. The Derailers buck Owens Rockabilly sounds.

Previous to those, The Texas Tornadoes TexMex traditional & alternatives to the Nashville sound.

New age artists that carry on a more traditional country flavor are Jolie Holiday on her A real Good Day album; Monty & the Pythons with their The Real Thing CD; heather Myles with her CD, Sweet Talk & Good Lies; Melonie Cannon's self titled inaugural disc is super, her follow up album "The Wheels Turn" has some critical social statement soungs namely, Cactus In a Coffee Can, which is just outstanding.

If you look past the bigger and brighter spotlit stars of todays country music artists, you will find real substance still but it's mixed into the flotsom and jetsom that country pop is currently so vested into. Singer songwirters like Singletary, Worley, Adkins, Wariner, and Chris LeDoux come to mind momentarily.

country is still country, it's just getting a bit harder to find it.
I like Jamey Johnson's cd....and i like the old Pat Green stuff (and it's well recorded)

Dwight Yoakam is probably my all time favorite---thousand miles from nowhere and albums before.