Jennifer Warnes 20th Ann Famous Blue Raincoat RI

has anyone heard this? I ordered it yesterday - it has 4 previously unreleased track. Also, below is an interview with Jennifer (thanks to the Poster on VA) that's interesting, and gives insight into Jennifer's interest in production and recording quality.

Jennifer Warnes Interview

bdgregory
I don't know where I was when it first came out, but I missed the original hullabaloo. I bought the recent reissue (Cisco I think) and find it "interesting." I "discovered" her on the Wasserman "Duets" CD which had her doing "Ballad of the Runaway Horse".

Anyway, IMHO, this is a good album, but not great. LC's lyrics are pretty bummer in general, so it doesn't get repeated listening by me.

Dave
I think FBR is chronically overrated by middle aged audiophile men because of the allure of Jenny's very sexy voice.

what is wrong with loving Jenny's voice? i admit that i listen to many many female vocalists because their voices sound heavenly. not necessarily in a sexual context but i suppose there is likely some biology involved.....the world would be a less enjoyable place without women's voices. the attraction of any vocal is part of the enjoyment of any music and does not disqualify music as not worthy. musical value is in the mind of the beholder.

FBR is a bit of an aquired taste and i've been hot and cold on it over the years. i enjoy 'The Hunter' more among Jennifer's albums.

my fav Jennifer Warnes song is the duet with Joe Cocker 'Up Where We Belong'. her soaring vocals on that made me a fan for life.
Hi - nothing wrong with loving Jenny's voice. I've been a fan since she was a back-up vocalist. It just doesn't justify (to me) FBR's status as an "audiophile" recording necessitating us to buy reissue upon reissue.
It's just that it was an unnecessary reissue. When I think of all the things that could be brought out or better mastered, and they give us this. It needs to go the way of Susannah McCorkle albums. Hopefully Diana Krall albums will end up there, too. My friends think the trouble with "audiophilia land" is the lameness of music...and in some cases I have to agree.
it's interesting, and surprising to me that this post brought out such strong contrary opinion. Everything is being reissued these days, and everyone does interviews on obscure "art" radio stations. As for this album being an "audiophile" recording - I guess I never considered it so, especially since my first copy is a CD that's so overly compressed it could never be mistaken for one. That said, I have always like JW's voice and and vocal style, and I really like the songs on the CD.

Since posting this I have received my purchase of the "reissue" and given it a couple of plays. It's much better than my original CD version, but still not nearly as good as my vinyl copy, nor as good as "The Well" or "The Hunter". That's a little disappointing. The 4 bonus tracks however make the RI worth purchasing IMHO. But if you find JW's music lame, or the lyrics depressing then of course don't bother.