Remasters: which are the good ones?

I have had mixed luck with CD remasters; could others post their experiences with various ones? Some are great, some overly compressed, others just terrible.

Opinions appreciated as I consider which albums to repurchase (some for the 3rd time, starting with vinyl...)

PS: I suggest this thread be (roughly) limited to rock/R&B/soul type stuff.

My experiences:

Good / Worth getting the remasters:
- Bob Marley remasters (excellent!)
- Steely Dan (Gaucho, CD layer off hybrid SACD; Aja CD remaster OK)
- Grateful Dead (HDCD, but I refer to the "regular" CD playback of these. All very nice but Terrapin Station, where I don't appreciate some of the mix changes, though sound quality is good)

OK:
- Fleetwood Mac (Fleetwood Mac)

Poor/bad:
- Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun (terrible)
- Jefferson Airplane remasters
nas
The cynical part of me says it just a money making exercise from the record companies.
Michael Jackson has brought out a 25th anniversary of the album 'Thriller'. Is he short of cash?
Many thanks all for the good suggestions!

Reubent and Bongofury-

Are you referring to the Who's "deluxe editions" (2001 MCA) versions of Live at Leeds & Who's Next, or to earlier ones? Amazon reviews leave it unclear which are the good ones... my 1996 Quadrophenia CD(s) are sonically a bummer, so I'm hoping you mean the more recent releases. Are both LAL and Who's Next equally good (in sound quality)?

As a separate note, someone (maybe not this thread) recommended the RCA Living Stereo classical stuff... I second that for at least the Heifetz- the SACD Hybrids are cheap and amazingly good sound quality.
Anyone heard any of the 2007 Stones cd's from Japan? Saw some at the Electric Fetus (MPLS). They are expensive, wondering if they are worth it ($30 +)?
Nas and Ludimagis,

The 95 MCA version is also the one I own. I agree that it is good, if not great. Way better than the 1984 original CD I also own.....

TIC