Jewel - the singer, not the case...

A couple of Fridays ago I feel asleep watching some show on PBS and when I woke up there was a show about to start, Jewel about to sing. The remote was on the other side of the room and I was too lazy to get up and get it so I just watched her sing and play.

All I can say is WOW. I loved her. She is beautiful, her voice is sweet and she played some great guitar, too. I really loved that show. I've been getting every of hers ever since.

Just thought I would share a new discovery for me.
matchstikman
When I said I didn't think Ronstadt had anything over Jewel, I should have qualified that. Ronstadt is great, no doubt, but there are at least 3 issues here. Talent, versatility, and lifetime accomplishments. I believe Jewel is in the Ronstadt league on the first two aspects, but clearly not the third. I should also concede that Jewel may or may not ever establish that breadth of versatility, but I believe she has the ability based on what I've heard already. I could be wrong (who knows what Jewel's interests turn out to be over a lifetime), but that's my take.

I have always appreciated Ronstadt's technical prowess and her versatility, but I can't remember her music ever moving me as some of Jewel's performances frequently have done. Hats off to all the truly greats, including Ronstadt, but meanwhile, I think Jewel also is great. If I'm wrong, I'm not far off. Also if I'm wrong, so what, her voice still amazes me and I enjoy it more than some of the "greats."

Finally, Eva Cassidy's voice is truly beautiful and remarkably moving.
>>I believe Jewel is in the Ronstadt league on the first two aspects<<

Strongly disagree. First Ronstadt has much more range, second her voice is far stronger, and finally Jewel has not proven much versatility.

She's hosting a hillbilly reality show.

Look you have some strong emotional attachment to her. Fine, that's your right. Passion is a good thing but it is blurring the reality of the situation here.

They have never been, are not, and never will be in the same league.

A comparison to some of her contemporaries I mentioned previously is far more appropriate.

Good luck to you.
"She's [Jewel] hosting a hillbilly reality show."

Hee hee. In 1980, Linda Ronstadt did the Muppet Show. By the looks of the Amazon reviews of the DVD (Best of the Muppet Show rel. 2003), she didn't do that great of a job. By contrast, Jewel nailed all her performances on the "hillbilly reality show." But hey, this kind of nonsense is irrelevant, isn't it?

To paraphrase one hayseed's song (Johnny Cash, who introduced, you guessed it, Linda Ronstadt, way back when on his own "hillbilly variety show"), Jewel "is doin' alright for country trash."
Ronstadt's appearance on the Muppet Show was a guest appearance.

The hillbilly reality show is Jewel's gig.

Big difference.

You're playing with one arm tied behind your back.
I'm done; you're too emotionally involved to make sense.

To quote one of the great minds of our time, "hee hee".
When I said I didn't think Ronstadt had anything over Jewel, I should have qualified that. Ronstadt is great, no doubt, but there are at least 3 issues here. Talent, versatility, and lifetime accomplishments. I believe Jewel is in the Ronstadt league on the first two aspects, but clearly not the third. I should also concede that Jewel may or may not ever establish that breadth of versatility, but I believe she has the ability based on what I've heard already. I could be wrong (who knows what Jewel's interests turn out to be over a lifetime), but that's my take.

I have always appreciated Ronstadt's technical prowess and her versatility, but I can't remember her music ever moving me as some of Jewel's performances frequently have done. Hats off to all the truly greats, including Ronstadt, but meanwhile, I think Jewel also is great. If I'm wrong, I'm not far off. Also if I'm wrong, so what, her voice still amazes me and I enjoy it more than some of the "greats."

Finally, Eva Cassidy's voice is truly beautiful and remarkably moving.