Jewel - the singer, not the case...

A couple of Fridays ago I feel asleep watching some show on PBS and when I woke up there was a show about to start, Jewel about to sing. The remote was on the other side of the room and I was too lazy to get up and get it so I just watched her sing and play.

All I can say is WOW. I loved her. She is beautiful, her voice is sweet and she played some great guitar, too. I really loved that show. I've been getting every of hers ever since.

Just thought I would share a new discovery for me.
matchstikman
No. Jewel is a good, but hardly great, singer.

Barbra Streisand is a great singer.
Linda Ronstadt is a great singer.
Judy Garland and Eva Cassidy were great singers.

Jewel is Sheryl Crow is Diana Ross is Norah Jones.
Ok, Audiofeil, your A-list admittedly forms a rarefied atmosphere, but Jewel easily is a cut above Crowe, Ross and Jones. I own and enjoy some of that "peasant" music, but in my opinion Jewel is the better vocalist. Evidence abounds, although like I keep saying, one finds it in Jewel's live performances. So far I don't think Jewel has presented a commercial offering commensurate with her talent. (Her second CD came closest.) She seems to need an audience, not to mention better producers.

I'm not sure Ronstadt or Cassidy have anything over her. Jewel is as versatile as Ronstadt and as capable of evoking emotion as Cassidy. Here, put this in your pipe and smoke it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6utrWnRYT7Q It's a song about her dead best friend. Very difficult to see live and not tear up.

At the risk of casting more pearls.... watch this whole thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYeZz8XMMvo These crappy little video clips come nowhere near the Tivo'd version through my Merlins, but even a chimp can see this ain't no Norah Jones.
>>I'm not sure Ronstadt or Cassidy have anything over her<<

Well let's examine this more closely. Ronstadt has done country, rock, pop, punk, opera, torch music, Mexican authentic, blues, etc. She's released 39 albums, 62 singles, has 29 Grammy nominations, and 11 Grammy awards.

Tragically Cassidy died very young well before hitting her prime.

Care to re-think your position?
It would be a good idea.