Am I totally nuts or just a bit off?

A few weeks ago I came across about a hundred old mono pop jazz albums from the fifties in storage I had forgotten about.
Had some extended(3am extended) listening sessions using a Shure M78 S(sperical) tracking a little over 2 gms on my trusty Sony PS-X7 .

Sure seemed to me that mono was way cool especially in the LOW listening fatigue factor. Going on a Goodwill road trip next week-LOL,

Tell me again, why was stereo invented?
schubert
Yes, stereo has all the advantages on paper. But its how its used recording by recording in each case that matters. Other than with the rare (these days) simple two or three microphone recording techniques what goes into the stereo mix is a product of what the production crew decides to mix in. It may or may not resemble anything like you might hear live.

Mono on the other hand takes that variable out of the equation. In certain setups in certain rooms with the right acoustics, it can sound very much like what a live performance in the same space would sound like with all the stereo mixing and mastering out of the picture. At least that has been my experience.
07-23-13: Zenblaster
Most audiophiles should see the value in capturing a live performance with each instrument/section in it's own channel.
Depends on what is being recorded, though. I would certainly disagree with that statement when it comes to classical music, for example. The very best stereo classical recordings are almost invariably those which have been recorded using a minimal number of microphones, perhaps just two or three, well placed in a good hall. And with minimal or no subsequent mixing, equalization, limiting, compression, or other processing.

Unfortunately, as Mapman indicated that sort of purist approach to recording is the exception rather than the rule these days, even when it comes to classical music.

Regards,
-- Al
" The very best stereo classical recordings are almost invariably those which have been recorded using a minimal number of microphones, perhaps just two or three, well placed in a good hall. And with minimal or no subsequent mixing, equalization, limiting, compression, or other processing."

No doubt!

Stereo rules in this case. Many early stereo classical recordings were done exactly this way in order to show of the medium's capabilities and are still hard to beat.

The mono recordings I tend to like best are from the 50s and early 60s and of smaller rock, blues and jazz ensembles. Recent digital remasters of most any mono recording on Sun, Chess or even Stax labels are outstanding.

Just the other day I was marveling at how good the original "Roll Over Beethoven" by Chuck Berry was sounding.
Schubert- any of the usual suspects, music direct, acoustic sounds, etc. should have it. It was done by Boxstar, which surprised me, since I was very disappointed with another of their remasters. But, make sure it is the 45rpm. I have an original Liberty pressing down in Texas, but I haven't listened to it yet (since my gear, RCM, etc. is not there yet). Good luck and enjoy. Cry Me a River is worth the price of admission.