Modwright Oppo 105

I received my Modwright Oppo 105 today. It sounds good, but is relatively lean - and not very extended - in the bass. The sound overall is missing a fullness and organic quality that I associate with tubes as well. I have been using an Exemplar modified Denon 3910 for years, and so far I prefer it. Naturally, I am quite surprised and disappointed so far. I will be patient and put more hours on it, of course. I am very familiar with "break-in." Dan burned it in for 72 hours or more, but I have only put another 5 hours or so on it so far.

Has anyone else had this reaction/experience? Maybe it is the Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I need to try something else? I am also wondering about Dan's use of silver wiring. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

jfz
I'm getting mine back Monday. I wonder if anyone has tried the Sophia rectifiers in the ModWright power supply? I really like the Sophia 6SN7's and wonder if their rectifier is as good? Right now my favorite rectifier is a RCA 5U4G from the 50's.
Dan this is Bon in Illinois after 8 years or maybe more,I have not even think of replacing the sony 9000es you modded,its unbelievably good and musical,thanks again.
I received my Oppo 105 from Modwright after Dan fixed the out-of-phase problem I had. The turn-around time was short, and I am very appreciative of Dan's response to the issue.

I believe he put more hours on my unit to QC it one more time, but in any case it sounded better to me almost immediately. You may remember that I took care of the out-of-phase issue in the short term, so I'm not talking about comparing the player out-of-phase to in-phase.

I have put several hours on the player now myself, and the player is sounding terrific!! So open and detailed, yet so smooth and easy to listen to. So dynamic. It's a very good sign when a component reveals differences in recordings, and this does it in spades. It's also a great sign when the results of making even small tweaks are so easy to hear. After making a few very small ones in my room, I was rewarded in a big way for my minimal effort. I believe this player is very, very neutral, not in the sense some people use the word (lean and super "revealing"). In the purest sense of the word.

Someone called the Modwright 105 close to the best analog. I was very surprised and very skeptical when I read that. I certainly have not heard the best analog in a very long time (although I did own a Basis Debut once upon a time), but this player is simply amazing!!!

Thank you, Dan!
Dan is a stand up guy for sure. His customer service is the best in the industry.

Glad you are enjoying your new Oppo. Have fun rolling tubes and tweaking it.
Dan and his customer support team is "Outstanding"! I'm still loving my MW 5400;the best digital playback I've ever heard and I've owned many...