CJ Premier 12's or LP 140's with Dynaudio C-1ii

System currently: CJ CT-5 preamp, McCormack DAC1 & SST1, Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii. Prefer laid-back warm tube sound with less brightness in treble.
cjinsc
Definitely the 12's. I would try to listen to them first, though. They may be too much of a good thing. The sound is similar to the 11a.

What amp are you currently using?
Thanks guys,

Before buying the CT-5 last week, I was using a PV12 & Premier 11a. Ed @ CJ service told me to upgrade the 11a to teflon caps to get the most out of the CT-5. With old set up, the Dyns will fatigue your ears in the highs. The CT-5 has given me a lot better bass definition & more transparent soundstage but the treble fatigue still exists. Hopefully, the C-1 ii's will cure this. There is a great deal on LP 140's on the net right now, it will probably give the new Dyns the power they need but with a more neutral, less warm sound. I'd like to get all the benefit out of the CT-5, but it sounds like it will be a tradeoff as CJ moves closer to Audio Research with their more current products.

Joe - did you like the sound of your amps after the C1 upgrade?
Zd - running the CT-5 with Premier 11 isn't too warm for me. Will the 12's bring more warmth than the Prem. 11?

Would be great to audition these amps first but won't be likely. Thanks again guys!
You're welcome.

Yes, I did like the sound after the upgrade. There were definite improvements in dynamics, clarity and frequency extension at both extremes.
I believe you may be headed in the wrong direction if you're seeking "more warmth". I own Premier 12's and pair them with the Premier 16. I've also owned the CT6 and extensively auditioned the CT5. Of the 3 preamps the 16 is by far the "warmest" (and best pre, IMO).

Knowing that the PV12 is of the same vintage as the 16's, I think the warmest pairing would be the PV12 with the Premier 12's.
The last time I heard either an 11 or 12's was at least 5 years ago. It was the 12's. I can only go by memory. Taking that into consideration, I would rate them about the same, as far as warmth goes. Understand, though, that's my best guess.

I can tell you, for sure, the PV12 is warmer sounding than the 16. For me, its way too much of a good thing. It borders on dull sounding. Its the kind of preamp you buy if you need to "fix" something.

In your OP you say that you don't want a hard/bright treble. You may want to have a look at your CD player. If thats the real problem, I suggest you go there first. All these vintage CJ components we are talking about here are warm sounding almost to a fault. If you set all this up and then change your CD player, you may not like the system.