CJ Premier 12's or LP 140's with Dynaudio C-1ii

System currently: CJ CT-5 preamp, McCormack DAC1 & SST1, Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii. Prefer laid-back warm tube sound with less brightness in treble.
cjinsc

Showing 2 responses by marco1

I believe you may be headed in the wrong direction if you're seeking "more warmth". I own Premier 12's and pair them with the Premier 16. I've also owned the CT6 and extensively auditioned the CT5. Of the 3 preamps the 16 is by far the "warmest" (and best pre, IMO).

Knowing that the PV12 is of the same vintage as the 16's, I think the warmest pairing would be the PV12 with the Premier 12's.
Not familiar with you speakers but the ET250's will pair nicely with the CT5 and based on specs they should run the Dyn's nicely. They will however continue to move you further from what you were seeking in your OP, IMO. I think Zd gives you some excellent advise. Throwing $5k at individual components hoping that they will "correct" a problem is a very expensive way learn the ropes, unless of course you have the time and money.

With all that said, what I can tell you from experience is that my 12's worked very nicely with Totem Model 1's which I understand are similar to your Dyn's. I currently use my 12's with great success with the latest Merlin Masters, a very high resolution speaker. Just the right blend of warmth from the amps and detail from the speakers. Yes the 12's may be a little dated, but if the "older" CJ sound is what you are after, which appears to be the case, the 12's are what I would be looking for.