CJ Premier 12's or LP 140's with Dynaudio C-1ii

System currently: CJ CT-5 preamp, McCormack DAC1 & SST1, Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii. Prefer laid-back warm tube sound with less brightness in treble.
cjinsc

Showing 3 responses by zd542

Definitely the 12's. I would try to listen to them first, though. They may be too much of a good thing. The sound is similar to the 11a.

What amp are you currently using?
The last time I heard either an 11 or 12's was at least 5 years ago. It was the 12's. I can only go by memory. Taking that into consideration, I would rate them about the same, as far as warmth goes. Understand, though, that's my best guess.

I can tell you, for sure, the PV12 is warmer sounding than the 16. For me, its way too much of a good thing. It borders on dull sounding. Its the kind of preamp you buy if you need to "fix" something.

In your OP you say that you don't want a hard/bright treble. You may want to have a look at your CD player. If thats the real problem, I suggest you go there first. All these vintage CJ components we are talking about here are warm sounding almost to a fault. If you set all this up and then change your CD player, you may not like the system.
Given your last post, I can't tell you what to do. I don't know your system or your personal taste's. Since you ask for our thoughts on the situation, I'll give you my opinion of how this all looks to me.

Your original post states you have a problem with a bright treble in your system. We may have a difference of opinion as to what bright is, but I clearly understand what you are talking about. Your single out the brightness as a problem that needs to be fixed. I get it.

If you read through your post's, you loose that focus. Now you are talking about changing components that you've never heard based only on a magazine review. I simply can't tell you how bad of an idea it is. To cover all the reasons that make the idea bad, I would have to write a book. I can, however, tell you this: I know from experience. It just doesn't work.

The only advice I can leave you with is not to buy any new components without trying them in your system first. I know that's not always an easy thing to do, but its well worth it. The Rogue's are very good but I don't see them fixing your problem. If you're really serious about them, I believe The Cable Company is a dealer. I would call them and have them send out the amps for you to audition before you commit to a purchase.