Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Simon. The Mullard GZ-37 works well in the Syrah and should sound better than the stock sovtek.
Hi Ecclectique,
thanks for that, I'm using a Mazda branded Mullard Gz 34(probably paid too much for it) but I have the chance of some Gz 37s at sensible prices hence my question.
Using a pair of grey glass coke bottle type sylvania 6L6GAs - never seen these mentioned - they are lovely tubes, way better than my TungSol 5881s
Cheers Simon
Hi Simon. Your Mazda labelled Mullard gz34 would be the one to keep as it not only sounds better but will last for many years to come. In my experience.... the gz37 will need to test near 100% and be tightly matched on both sides to get the best performance from it....It is only marginal if not. Yup...the sylvania 6L6ga black glass is a very good sounding tube and much sought after by the guitar amp crowd. I think most of old stock 6L6 tubes sound considerably better than the tungsol 5881 however few are as robust.
Had to make a post about the Pope 6SN7s Kevin Deal sold me. Ok, I have not compared them to other NOS tubes yet but they are waay above the EHs. I let the EHs go for 100 hours or so to see what they could do, and of course the unit sounded great with them, but these popes are so much more refined and less "harsh". It is like a new preamp. I was hoping for a little difference but not expecting this. One hour so far, every track sounds better. Smoother... more musical.
On the subject of power cords...I have had a power cord,the "Source", from DCCA Audio burning in on my Chardonnay for a few weeks now.MY impressions so far? It has the same qualities as I noticed upon first inserting my Chardonnay into the system.Increased resolution,dynamics,musicality,truth in timbre etc.What this cord really excells at is a non fatiguing presentation, the recreation of a live event,a major upgrade in my opinion.I"ve used several other cords such as Electraglides,Cardas,Tice, Groneberg,Nordost Valhalla...none of these even came close to what the DCCA can do.These are fairly reasonably priced and can be home auditioned. The one fault of these cables? They are stiff as hell! Very large cords that might not fit all apllications