Cary SLP 03

I noticed that this pre had a price drop by about 1k. I've found two rather luke warm reviews, so I want to get some feedback from actual owners on its performance. How does it compare to other pre's in its price range, like the Rogue gear, for example.

Does it responde well to tube rolling, and in your opinion, is it a much better value at its current price retail price of $1995.
hawk28
KClone, the sound isn't harsh, but on some recordings the highs get a little bright. A tube pre should take care of that, in my estimation.

No, I don't live in Iowa. Hawk is an old nickname I picked up in my football playing days. :)
You can't have it all guys. If you want tubes to give a warmer, lush, dimensional sound there will be a price to pay in terms of dynamics.
Upon further thought, Kiwi is right. I guess I try and get the best of both worlds with a tubbed pre and solid state amp. Of course there is a lot of variables in this hobby so nothing is really absolute.

Hawk28, good know you are not a hawkeye fan from Iowa. I'm a Cyclone fan!! Go State! :)

As far as harsh recordings, yes tubes can help, but so can speakers and cables ect... I have a lot of pop and rock and yes a lot of them can be bright or harsh. My Fritz Carbon 7s tame the harshness for the most part.
The SS/tube combo is what I seek for the same reasons as you, Kclone. Get the strengths from both types of amplication.

I would prefer to get the tube pre in my system before I start messing around with switching cables in and out.

Cyclone fan, huh? You guys had a big win against Okla State last season and caused a bit of a ruckus in the BCS standings! Good for you!
How does the SLP 98 and 98F1 fit into this discussion? How does it compare to the 03 and 05?