Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Allen. The 5u4g will work for rectification duty but really not recommended in the supratek. It is a "directly heated" rectifier wherby the 5ar4/gz34 is an indirectly heated rectifier.... meaning it has a much slower ramp up time preventing any cathode stripping of the other tubes.
Thanks, I know about the fast ramp up. Its just that those nice big Sovtek 5u4g would look so great on top of that chrome :)
Hi Allen. Yeah, I can appreciate the beauty, however considering the cost of any nos 5au4, the sovtek looks a whole lot better in a box.
G'day everyone.This is my first post here.I took delivery of my Cabernet two days ago and am enjoying it immensely.I guess I am one of the lucky ones because I live near Supratek and Mick has been very patient and helpful in assisting me to decide which of the preamps I wanted.This task has not really been easy because I have had a chance to hear all of them and they are all superb in their own way.I decided on the Cabernet because I have always loved the sound of 300b valves.I am also using very light paper coned speakers which benefit from a slightly warmer sound.If I was using different speakers one of the other models may have been my choice.
Anyway I think it is nice to be part of a pretty lucky little club of people who, on the whole ,have come to Supratek because of musical enjoyment,not gatgetry or brand snobbery.
Mick is more passionate about music than anything else and his products are a testament to this.
Finally let me say that I did have to wait for my Cabernet,and that this can get frustrating.They really are worth this wait however.

JT
Hi JT and welcome. Have you heard any of Micks amplifiers, even pre production models with his preamps in a system? Any comments would be great...