Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Allen,The Chardonnay uses a 5AR4 for rectifier,i read in another thread the 5AR4 can be used as a substitute for 5U4,but not the other way around.If youd like to read the thread,do an audiogon search for "5U4" and click on discusion post,the same question was asked,hope this helps,Ray

Thw 5V4 can also be substituted for a 5AR4. I tried it on my Chenin. To me, it is better than most new production 5AR4 to date.
Hi Allen. The 5u4g will work for rectification duty but really not recommended in the supratek. It is a "directly heated" rectifier wherby the 5ar4/gz34 is an indirectly heated rectifier.... meaning it has a much slower ramp up time preventing any cathode stripping of the other tubes.
Thanks, I know about the fast ramp up. Its just that those nice big Sovtek 5u4g would look so great on top of that chrome :)
Hi Allen. Yeah, I can appreciate the beauty, however considering the cost of any nos 5au4, the sovtek looks a whole lot better in a box.