How to pick a tubed integrated without hearing one

I am taking the plunge into tubes. I do not see alot of manufactureres i am familiar with in the classifieds. How do i pick the right one ? I will be driving a small to medium sized bookshelf speaker . Probably a 8ohm model . My room is 11x14 .Should i only stick to names i have seen advertised in mags ? Will all of these have a similar sound/build quality.reliablity ? My budget will be around $1000 (used). Any info on these questions or on something i missed would be appreciated.
128x128maplegrovemusic
What speakers and other equipment do you presently have?

In the interim, I can easily go along with the recommendation of Rogue, however the Cronus Magnum is 90 wpcs and might be a bit much for your room size versus the base Cronus at 55wpc. Regardless of the amp you select, swapping out tubes- brands, NOS versus new issue, etc. will make a difference in what you hear - warmth, transparency, detail, etc. ,it is up to you what you like.
For EL34 tube integrateds research the Cayin A50T, the Jolida 302 and CJ CAV50. Used prices circa $900, $600 and $1100, respectively. The Cayin is well built, has auto bias and is point to point wired. The Jolida has circut boards but is decently built and servicable. The CJ is long out of production but is well regarded as a classic and still supported by CJ. But I warn you CAV50s come up for sale used infrequently. A used Rogue Cronus is worth checking out but may be a little North of your budget.

For EL34 power amps check out PrimaLuna PL1 and PL2 as well as the Tube Audio Design TAD60. All are excellent for the money. The PL2 will allow for both EL34s and Kt88s, while the PL1 only uses EL34s. Both are auto bias. The TAD is not autobias but is simple to bias. It also can function as a single source integrated. It is out of production but still supported by the internet seller. Used prices for these are generally around $1000, give or take.

All of these mentioned, except the CJ and Rogue, are sourced from China but come through US distribution and are built to quality standards. Given your price point these offer the best value IMHO.
Try a late model Jolida 102B. You'll be amazed by what 20 EL84 tube watts can do. Then you have the fun of tube and cable rolling on the cheap. Your room seems small and asymmetrical: it should work well.
If your speakers are reasonably efficient and you're not trying to fill a large space the Jolida FX10 EL84 based integrated is great sounding, comes with a remote and is auto-biasing.