Modern Linestages

This is a general question about how complex and expensive some linestages have become. I'm looking to understand why? I can grasp that really good volume controls are complicated and that equally good switches are not inexpensive. I also have a general understanding of the importance of a high quality power supply, which again is not going to come cheap. I just don't comprehend how you get to a 50lbs. plus preamps that cost well over $20k. Is this level of complexity really needed or is it the equivalent of the spate of 500hp "sedans" for every day driving?
128x128onhwy61
Just to make my earlier post more clear, I meant that I believe that with active line stages, a well-designed, well-implemented power supply is a VERY important element. I am told (no knowledge in this area) the actual circuit can be very simple. Assuming that is the case, then I think that the power supply becomes the critical variable.
First, thank you Swampwalker for the kind remarks.
An example of what the OP may have intended is the
Conrad-Johnson Classic Preamp. No frills, no remote, just a good product for two channel. Being sold at a reasonable(according to audiophile standards) price.
So yes it can be done, simplicity whether in audio or life never comes easy.
Charles1dad,

Well said and spot on based on my experience. Fact is a great active is the heart and soul and often times the difference maker or "magic" in my past systems.

Give me the "dinosaur" as it just sound sounds right! Modern sound (high end)to my ears is becoming far to threadbare sounding and lacking in body and weight. Details are fired at us often times forcing me away rather then drawing me into the music.
Grannyring,
Regarding the direction of some "modern" components your comments are astute. When I attend live performances(unamplified jazz groups) they consistently sound rather,full,rich,round toned and yes warm. Even when they play very fast tempo music it`s still very full bodied and preserves a sense of ease and density(same is true of classical music programs). What ever turn high end audio made toward the lean,clinical and thin tonality destination in the name of accuracy(their version of it, I guess). Well I`ll travel a different highway.Thanks, but no thanks.
My preference is for an active preamp but done as simple as possible. I chose CJ's ART and ACT 2.2 for my pres "first" because I like the way they sounded and "second" because of their design: Class A, only one gain stage, no negative feedback, and no cathode follower. For an active tube pre, that's pretty simple.

So here's a case where a pre is simple and expensive. I wondered if it was because they were the companies statement product and, in the ART's case, because only a limited production was made. I'm sure that's part of it but finding that, in the ART 3's case, it uses 32 Teflon caps at a cost of about 300 each. That alone works out to 9000 in just those parts. Does it need all those to work? No. But that was CJ's decision. Do I need to pay that much for a pre? No. But that's my decision.

Hypothetically: If someone was to invent a raw driver that outperforms every other driver in the world and cost 100 in parts....If he puts that into the perfect box that cost him 100 in materials....and if it takes him an hour to assemble it (we'll give him a 100 per hour rate)....Can he charge 300 for it? Can he charge 30,000? Yes and yes. First yes: If he's a Saint. Second yes: If there are people that will buy it at that price. In the latter case, I'm sure some people will wonder why he charges so much. The short answer is, "because he can". A better answer is: "It took years and a lot of money to develop this and I have a family and a business with overhead I have to take care of".