Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Well said Grannyring & ASA! Suprateks are very reliable IMO, due to the lack of circuit boards and simple but high quality construction.

I ran a Cortese Preamp for more than 2 years for 4-8 hours a day, seven days a week without a single hiccup other than the odd valve rush noise. For the past 6 months I have used a Supratek Cabernet with the directly heated 101D triode, and it also has run faultlessly.

I have found that the predominant cause of concern with these pre's is noise generated by the valves themselves and picked up by the high-gain circuitry. It is not a problem with the pre itself, but the inconsistency/vaguaries that come with using valves, albeit coupled with the sensitivity of the pre. The newer Supratek models have adjustable or lower sensitivity which has addressed such concerns.

It is also a myth to think that there is such a thing as a completely safe audio component. Even big companies like Audio Research have their problems. I have heard and read plenty of horror stories about their earlier preamps and amps over heating with major repairs required. For example their Reference 600 monobloc amps ($30,000?) have 32 valves stuffed into a metal case mounted on printed circuit boards. This is a disaster waiting to happen! mixing valves & circuit boards in an enclosed cahssis is a big no-no, IMO.

At least with Supratek everything is hard wired, lots of free space within the chassis and all running relatively cool, so it gives peace of mind.

Also, B23 misses the point of the 700 or so posts on this thread - we have all taken the leap to Supratek based on the superb sound! And as ASA has mentioned, it's kind of the end of the road of a long steep (& expensive) learning curve for many of us. If you do not take the advice of someone like Grannyring who prefers the Syrah over $8,000US preamps like the Wavac and Audio Note then nothing will convince you. I know of another who prefers the Syrah to a CAT SL-1 pre he has. Consider also, that Grannyring has an older style Syrah, let alone the fact that the newer model Syrahs/Cortese/Grange take it all a step further.

Regards,

Steve M.
Asa, after reading your post three times I'm still not sure what your point is.

Grannyring, trust Bwhite and many others who have rolled numerous tubes through the Supratek, the WE 350b's are excellent, along with the Mullard rectifier and the 6SN7's that were previously recommended. That is not to say that some other tubes aren't good, but none are "superior" to any of the "class-A" tubes, IMHO.

Considering your associated gear and experience, I simply don't see any need for you to listen to inferior tubes as has been suggested here just for some ethereal learning excerise.

And concerning the reliability of the Supratek, I can speak from first-hand experience. My Supratek arrived with a problem not directly attributed to Mick. However, he had me send it back to him at his expense, he repaired it in one day and immmediately sent it back to me at no charge. It doesn't get any better than that. And it has been perfect ever since.
I have talked to Mick and the only area of change in the Syrah is the phono section. I only use the linestage and he told me that it has remained pretty much the same. Your right about the unit making noise as I have moved the power supply all around and still get a hum through my speakers. The only way I could stop it is by using cheater plugs on my monoblock amps and the pre!

Nothing else seems to work. I will be trying some NOS tubes and I will see what that does.

Another interesting note on my used Syrah. Mine has what looks to be the same three tube power supply as put on the Cortese. I assume this is an upgrade over the stock one tube power supply? I have not heard of another one like it.

Grannyring
Is there anyone in Chicago with a Supratek preamp or amp? I would love to hear one!