Herron VTSP-3A

Hey guys, I just got this preamp in my system and have only used it for 5 hours. However, I don't have to wait for burn in or more evaluation time to tell this compenent is absolutley outstanding. The VTSP-3A is the new version and it has over 50 changes from the VTSP-3. I got my system sounding really good before the arrival of the Herron, but the Herron has really brought my system to life. Heck, the VTSP-3A has had the most postive impact on about every aspect of sound in my system than any other electonic compenent I have ever bought. I feel like the Herron is letting me hear the potential of everything else in my system. I thought I would make this post since I'm not sure if a lot of people know about Herron. If someone is in the market for a top of the line preamp, they may want to at least consider this one. For the record, I have no affliation with the company, I'm just a VERY happy owner.
128x128kclone
No, I heard it from my seat! Spoken to Keith and he did say it has to do with gains matching with power amps. Anything below 24db is good. I tried low gain and it's quiet but that mod does not sound as lively as in High gain. My friend told me to unearth all grounds and use dedicated power line. I will be going that path to be my next goal.
Luna,

I have the 3A and it is dead quiet. Indeed, it is as quiet as the best of the solid state pre-amps, but is far more musical than any solid state pre. I bet you have a noisy tube that is causing the sound that you are hearing. You will not need to replace the tube. You merely will need to swith its position with one of the other tubes. Call Keith and ask him which two tubes you should switch. He will know. In the past I developed a similar noise in my VTSP-3 after a year of use, and I checked with Keith. He told me to switch the positions of two tubes and that resulted in absolute silence--like magic. I asked about my replacing the formerly noisy tube and he told me no to do so. It said it had years of use left in it, but that it merely needed to be in a different location so that its noisy characteristic would not affect the sound of the pre-amp. Keith is a part genius and part magician. I have not encountered any issues and certainly no noise with the 3A. I bet your issue with background noise or "fuzz" is the product of a noisy tube. The 3A is a superlative pre-amp. Let me know what happens.

Sflazor
I have the same sssss but I have had that on every piece of equipment I've owned. I chock it up to dirty power even with a power conditioner.
I apologize for all of the mispellings in my prior post. In the future I will proof read my posts before hitting the submit key. Oh well....

Sflazor