Herron VTSP-3A

Hey guys, I just got this preamp in my system and have only used it for 5 hours. However, I don't have to wait for burn in or more evaluation time to tell this compenent is absolutley outstanding. The VTSP-3A is the new version and it has over 50 changes from the VTSP-3. I got my system sounding really good before the arrival of the Herron, but the Herron has really brought my system to life. Heck, the VTSP-3A has had the most postive impact on about every aspect of sound in my system than any other electonic compenent I have ever bought. I feel like the Herron is letting me hear the potential of everything else in my system. I thought I would make this post since I'm not sure if a lot of people know about Herron. If someone is in the market for a top of the line preamp, they may want to at least consider this one. For the record, I have no affliation with the company, I'm just a VERY happy owner.
128x128kclone
Checked Herron's website, but can't make out which tubes are being used...
Are they 5687s or the ubiquitous 6922/12AX7 variants??
Can these be rolled?
What's the retail price?
They can be rolled, but it seems for those of us that have heard the 3A don't see the need to roll because it sounds good enough as it is.
Kclone I agree with you completely. My 3A that I just got back last Monday has improved so much just breaking in that I do not see how any tube rolling would help.
After listening to my updated VTSP-3A (from VTSP-3) for a few weeks I would like to add a few comments.
Much more detail and dynamics with greater bass heft are the main plusses. Also increased soundstage width and depth are more apparent with greater stereo separation.
I bi-amp using 4 Herron Audio M-1 monoblocks. Before the upgrade I used to listen at about 48 on the pre. Since the upgrade it is down to 38. Anything above 42-45 got a bit harsh for me. This is due in part because of prolonged break in and, I think more importantly, the fact that Keith Herrron has reprogrammed the volume contour so it gets a good deal louder after about 35. What I have done (as Keith suggested) is drop down from full gain to half gain on the pre. This was a good move I believe as it enables me to use a greater range of volume. It has also reduced the harshness I was experiencing to almost none and I'm sure it will go right away with full break in. A big thanks to Keith Herron!
You can roll the tubes - but I don't see the point.

1. The preamps already sound superb. SUPERB.

2. Keith voices the Herron gear incredibly cunningly. He chooses his tubes exceedingly carefully, for reliability as well as fidelity. These things are darned near bombproof. He designs around these specifically chosen tubes, ones that he knows will sound great and give long life without changing sound. They aren't exotic, so you can replace them if you ever need to.

3. Part of the beauty of Herron gear is it's neutral without being colorless or lean - neutral in the best sense of that word i.e. "natural" sounding, just getting the hell outa the way of the music.

4. Although Herron gear is less sensitive to cables and PCs than most tube gear I've had (and that's true of the Herron ss amps too), you'd probably get more mileage for less trouble by replacing the stock cord than rolling the tubes.

5. Every dedicated tube roller I know of that swapped out the stock tubes eventually put 'em back. You look at the humble stock tube and think: "what if I substituted XYZ NOS tube? Must be awesome..." Not. Please see #2 and #3 above.

6. If, after all that, you just have to swap the tubes, talk to Keith first. Really.