Solid State Amps for Quad ESL 57?

My system is feeling pretty tube-y and I was looking for suggestions of a solid state amps that people are liking with their original Quad ESLs. Looking for more speed and more of the bass I know the Quads can put out if set up right.
dhcod
I found this exerpt from The Complete Guild To High End Audio. "Some amplifiers barely increase their output power when driving 4 ohms; others can double it. This means that not all 100wpc amps are created equal. One 100wpc amplifier might put out 150w into 2 ohms, while another might deliver 350wpc into 2 ohms. This ability to drive low-impedance loads (specifically, to deliver lots of current) has a large influence on an amplifier's sound and subjective power capability.
This is where our dBW rating again comes into play. When calulating dBW, subtract 3dBW from the 8 ohm dBW rating when the amp is driving 4 ohms, and subtract 6dBW when the amp is driving 2 ohms. In the example of of the two 100wpc amplifiers in the preceding paragraph, each is rated at 100wpc into 8 ohms, or 20dBW. But the first amplifier puts out only 150wpc into 2 ohms, while the second puts out 350wpc into 2 ohms. Converting the 2 ohm power ratings into dBW, we see that the first has a dBW rating of 15.76 at 2ohms, while the second has a dBW rating of 19.44dBW into 2 ohms. Quite a difference-nearly 4dB-between two 100wpc amplifiers."

He doesn't explain why you have to subtract 3dBW when driving 4 ohms as opposed to 8 ohms but I have read this elsewhere also.

Maybe some transitor amps run out of voltage when trying to drive a high impedance load and thats why there is a tonal imbalance? Or am I wrong about this?
My LP12 was outta wack. I had an overhaul and setup done and now things have gone back to the way they were. Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm going to try out a Bedini and maybe the Red Wine Audio amps for fun!
Hi Sarcher30, in the case of transistor amps, the ideal is to be able to deliver the same output voltage regardless of the load impedance. That being the case, then a 100 watt amplifier driving 8 ohms will make 200 watts into 4 ohms and 400 watts into 2 ohms until the current limits of the power supply or output section are reached.

They thing they don't tell you is what happens when driving higher impedances, like you see in the Quad ESL 57. Into 16 ohms you get 50 watts, into 32 ohms you get 25 and the ESL 57 has impedances in the bass well in excess of 45 ohms. So transistor amplifiers cannot make power in the bass, while at the same time they make too much in the highs, where the impedance of the speaker is down to 4 ohms.

This is what I was trying to explain earlier. The Quad's impedance curve has nothing to do with box resonance in fact it has nothing to do with resonance at all. So it does not use the rules where the constant voltage characteristic is useful. It expects constant power out of the amplifier, or at least the attempt at it, for best results. It is what I call a Power Paradigm device, which is why transistors for the most part are tricky at best to get even mediocre results. IOW its an equipment mismatch. see

http://www.atma-sphere.com/papers/paradigm_paper2.html
hi ralph:

i own a pair of pk quad 57. you can get bass extension with a solid state amp. wayne has used several. in my own experience, beefy power supply and more power=greater extension and fullness.

personally, i wouldn't use a ss amp on the quads. i do not like the upper mids, lower treble, where ss amps are notoriously , unbalanced, i.e., somewhat peaky.

the problem with ss amps is not bass response, it is at 1000 hz and higher. I experienced this on my magnepan as well. i got reat bass with a 350 watt class a, but female voices and violins were a big problem.