Tube Amp Recommendations

Looking for a tube amp, less than 3K and preferably not more than 2500 dollars, that can power Von Schewikert VR 4 JR speakers. I am using Morrow Audio SP2 speaker cables (a phenomenal produc, the highly acclaimed Audiohorizons tube pre-amp, an Alesis ML-9600 CD player/recorder, a Taddeo Digital Antidote, and LAT international as well as Audiohorizons interconnects.

I wish to avoid the extreme hassle that I experienced with VTL MB-225t monoblocks (will sell very cheaply)with the biasing. If not an autobias set up, I'd need some middle ground from what I went through with the VTL's. Monoblocks or single chassis are OK. Preferably Id like a company that has a reputation of being very service oriented if needed.

If there are amps out there that you can recommend, I am all ears. I am new to the tube game on the amp side. I do have a Music Reference 125 wpc amplifier that is very, very good on one of my systems. However, the audiophile in me wants to try something else.

Thanks.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjaymark
I have a SONIC FRONTIERS POWER 2 amp. VERY easy bias procedures. I've seen the SE factory upgraded version going around $2200. I have the regular version. Very detailed - lots of power. However, does not offer typical WARM tubey sound. If that's what you are after look elsewhere. Can sound very good if paired with the right speakers, preamp. Built very well.
Pretty tuff to beat a Music Reference amp for those speakers, for most any speaker really.
The RM200 only uses a pair of KT88s per channel and yet can achieve 100Wpc? Do they run these tubes very hard?
Music Reference amps are amazing in the power they deliver while simultaneously giving great tube life. Read the reviews and discussions here and eslewhere, you'll find it's true across all of Roger's designs.

I have an original RM-9. Roger went through it a couple of years ago, when it was 17 years old and still running the original RAM tubes. He upgraded a few electrolytics and installed nicer biding posts. I reinstalled the original tubes and they still sound great but decided while the amp was in Roger's care it was an opportunity to try the RAM KT88s. They sound amazing.
Sonic frontiers Power 2. Great sound,very easy to bias,can drive almost any speakers,reliable, can be upgraded to se+ through Parts connextions by Chris Johnson, he was
SF designer.