Tone controls- to use or not?

Thanks to years of playing in bands, and more recently working in a noisy environment, I've come to the sad realisation that my 40-year old ears no longer have their original upper frequency response. Adding a bit of "treble" on my amp's tone controls helps, but I'm normally loathe to use these controls.

Should I be looking at changing my setup to incorporate "brighter" sounding components, or is adding a little treble with the tone controls legitimate?

My system is a Cambridge 640C player, NAD c720 stereo receiver (based on c320 amp) and B&W DM602 speakers, Monster cable IC's and heavy guage "Kordz" (Australian) copper speaker wires.
carl109
hi rodman99999:

there is no definitive definition of audiophile. there are many definitions. it's all subjective. "supposed to be" is but an opinion, since it is neither true nor false.

your idea of sonic degredation may be someone's audio nirvana, which follows from the adage "one person's trash is another person's treasure".

i will admit that using tone controls by definition alters the signal and creates inaccuracy. that's another issue.

even if your hypothesis is: accuracy is the hallmark of a high quality stereo system, it is but one of many methods for assessing the merits of stereo systems.
hi kijanki:

not altering the signal is but one method of configuring a stereo system. this is not a definitive approach for listening to music in the home. it is your opinion.
i disagree. one should do to the recording whatever is pleasurable to the listener.

again, the goal of accuracy is one of many purposes of a stereo system. it is better not to dictate what others should be doing with their stereo system.

accuracy is a criterion for evaluating stereo systems. however, it is arbitrary and not the sole means of doing so.
Mrtennis - I don't dictate anything - I only expressed my opinion like everybody else here. If all is subjective, in your opinion, then terms like clarity transparency etc. have no meaning and this forum has no purpose (other than chat room)

I have only volume knob - nothing else.
Less is better - in my opinion.
each channel on a typical mixing board has it's own EQ. Used correctly, these can be adjusted to convey that instrument or vocalist with as natural a presentation as possible......My personal philosophy has always been, "Less is Better!" with regard to signal manipulation. To me the best results are always accomplished with a really good setup in the studio, and as little after-tweeking as possible.

I agree fully. I am not advocating that people use tone controls at +18 db to correct for a terrible room or system. All I am saying is that "Used correctly, tone controls can be adjusted to convey the music with as natural a presentation as possible - in a given room/setup" and "correctly" means very lightly - perhaps +/-3 db tilt at the most in a good setup (room/gear) or to suity personal taste.

Used correctly, a tone control (or even one set flat to 0 db) does not destroy, IMHO
The term 'audiophile' means 'audio lover'. So goof off with it to your heart's desire :)

A good number of tone controls, when set to flat, are not in fact flat at all- there is usually some perturbation on account of the controls. In addition, an additional stage of gain is required to drive the tone control circuit. Unless switched out (and even the switching circuit can have an audible artifact) these things will contribute to a loss of bandwidth, detail and increased distortion.

Hence, many 'purist' 'audio lovers' do without, in the quest for greater transparency/immediacy to the music. So, to refine the definition, there is a difference between an audiophile and a purist (purist being a subset of audiophile).

But I have to ask- because I don't know- if you have hearing loss (like many of us over 40/45 years) how is it that tone controls will help? Won't that make the experience of the recorded music that less real (because you could never hear it that way live)? Or is that not important?