tube integrated amp recommendations?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an inexpensive (around $1000) tube integrated amp for a second system, and thought I would ask for opinions on what I should be looking at right now. Used is OK to consider for this amp. Here's what I want (I think)...

I would like an amp that I can possibly swap driver tubes in to play with the sound a little. Or maybe one that I can switch from pentode to triode modes. I'd like it to use inexpensive (in the scheme of things) driver tubes so I can try things out (so the 300B or 211 are probably out of the question).

I want a remote control in the unit. I have a Mcintosh MC275 in my main system, so I'm familiar with KT-88 tubes, and wouldn't be adverse to having them in this secondary unit, but there's a lot of other tubes out there to try!

I have a pair of B+W 602's to use on this system (at least for starters). It will be driven mostly be a Sonos and maybe a decent CD player and possibly FM radio. I don't listen to loud music, but I do listen to a wide range of styles, from classical to rock. So, I don't think I need a lot of power in the amp.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a decent sounding product that has all or most of these things from the list. Maybe more importantly, I'd like to hear about what tubes I should be considering. All input is appreciated.

If I can't seem to find a suitable tube solution, I'll probably get a Audio Decco to run in the system...

---Michael
mjm6
This is my first tube amp and i have not had the pleasure of listening to too many others (did hear a Dyanco at a store) but i looked at Jolida and Cayin and googled and search for all kinds of info.

What i liked about the Primaluna was the auto biasing, the solid build, the clean innards, and the resale priceas well as the sound. I figure if the used price holds up well and the sell fast on A'gon then there is a demand for it. Someone here (Raul?) said the Cayin sounds very different from the Primaluna even though the share some build charateristics. I have really nice rich smooth sound with decent bass (Triangle Comete speakers). Never was a subwoofer guy-THUMP
Listening to Son house or Lightning Hopkins or Leo Kottke play guitar is magical. It sounds like they are right there and the strings seem to vibrate.

Is it the best Int Tube amp out there, probably not but for the price it is tough to beat. If i had $1300-$1500 and i was going to buy a another used amp I might get a Cary SLI80 or a VTL IT85 but I'd rather plays with some speakers like single driver or a pair of Reynaud Twins or DeCapo's.

I never need a remote. Turn it on and go. Wish i had a remote for the turntable though LOL. I listen to lots of blues, some rock, mostly vinyl, lots of Public Radio and soem cd's and love the sound.

Dont use JJ EL34's they can cause arcing in this amp. I had this problem, talked to some dealers who comfirmed that i am not the only one this happened to. I have the mullard reissue EL34's and SED's and both sound great. I did send my amp into Mitch Singerman to look it over and replace the tube socket and he saw no damage to the amp everything checked out fine. It seems the JJ's pins may push the metal tabs in the socket out more than others.

My friends are amazed at the sound from this thing. I am tempted to try some set or other amp but why bother :)
The Audio Research CA-50 is very good sounding for the money (they are usually available for around $1,200 used). It has a remote.
I also recommend the Cayin A50T ( EL 34's). I own the 55T with the kt88 tubes but the sound/music the A50 makes is more to my taste. I also play around with tubes in my Leben CS600. Maybe you can find a Leben CS300 pre-owned in your price range. The Leben is very special !!
But price-wise the Cayin is the winner. ( better then Primalina if you ask me). Biassing the Cayin is really simple and it also gives you more control over the powertubes. Cayin remote really works great!! That's what I miss on the Leben.
The SQ-88, 55 watt integrated may be worth a look. Remote control of the volume, three inputs. Self bias. Very well put together. More info can be found at Quest for Sound. Fun hunting.