A challenge: Reference system from 15yrs ago

I've always interested in learning about what was around during HiFi's heyday. I propose a challenge, hopefully I can learn a thing or two about older hifi in the process.

The challenge:

Build a system using components that are 15 years or older that could compete with today's absolute state of the art if possible. The components can be upgraded (new cap's for amp's) modded (for digital or analog setup's) and re-coned speakers and drivers. There is no price limit in gear. Simply put the price of yester year and today's blue book value. Most importantly have fun, cuz I hope to read about some classics.
lush
Goldmund Studio with any of the great cartridges of the time, Counterpoint SA9 & SA11, ARC D250 or VTL 225/300, all premium NOS tubes, Martin Logan CLS or SoundLab A1. Just imagine what such a system might sound like with the top cables of today. And all that we have learned about clean power, power cables, component isolation, etc.
mcintosh pre amp 28
mcintosh 2210 amp 200 watts
ads 910 speakers
denon turntable w/denon mc cart.
ads cd
great system, retailed around 5500.00
would blow away any 5500.00 system of today's standards
Goldmund Reference TT/Ortofon 3000/Cello audio palette with electronic xover facility/Symphonic Line Kraft 400 class A x 4->Hartley OR modded vintage Klipshorn (alnico drivers) OR ???
This was my system (I still remember the romantic music)
Crosby Modified Quads
Jadis JA-80
Jadis JP-80MC
Marantz 10B
Sota Cosmos
Breuer Dynamic Arm
Koetsu Rosewood

for SS:
Spectral DMA-80
Spectral DMC-10(?)