A challenge: Reference system from 15yrs ago

I've always interested in learning about what was around during HiFi's heyday. I propose a challenge, hopefully I can learn a thing or two about older hifi in the process.

The challenge:

Build a system using components that are 15 years or older that could compete with today's absolute state of the art if possible. The components can be upgraded (new cap's for amp's) modded (for digital or analog setup's) and re-coned speakers and drivers. There is no price limit in gear. Simply put the price of yester year and today's blue book value. Most importantly have fun, cuz I hope to read about some classics.
lush
mcintosh pre amp 28
mcintosh 2210 amp 200 watts
ads 910 speakers
denon turntable w/denon mc cart.
ads cd
great system, retailed around 5500.00
would blow away any 5500.00 system of today's standards
Goldmund Reference TT/Ortofon 3000/Cello audio palette with electronic xover facility/Symphonic Line Kraft 400 class A x 4->Hartley OR modded vintage Klipshorn (alnico drivers) OR ???
This was my system (I still remember the romantic music)
Crosby Modified Quads
Jadis JA-80
Jadis JP-80MC
Marantz 10B
Sota Cosmos
Breuer Dynamic Arm
Koetsu Rosewood

for SS:
Spectral DMA-80
Spectral DMC-10(?)
It may not have been SOTA, but this was a honey of a system that retailed for $2K in 1989/1990. I paid about $1500 for it new. My wife and I had just split up and this was my gift to myself.

ADCOM 545 power amplifier
ADCOM 500II preamp/tuner
Magnavox CD 630 CD player (made by Philips in Belgium)
KEF Q55 speakers (original Uni-Q standmounters)

Kept the ADCOM's for 13 years before changing over to Musical Fidelity, the Magnavox for 10 years before changing to a SONY SACD ES player, and the KEF's for 7 years before changing to EPOS ES 11.

Regards, Rich