Amp advice for Avantegarde HELP

Hi guy's,

I am entering new and unchartered territory and need some real help. I had been running high powered tube amps into panels (see system) but have recently decided to try the high efficiency side of life. I had really good ideas about what worked well with my Logans but am quite a newbe on the horn thing.

At the moment I have a pair of Avantgarde Duo 2.2's upgraded with Cardas internal wiring in my room. I am using my Aesthetix Callisto signature (which seems to work very well) as a pre into a pair of Nagra VPA's. The Nagra's sound really good but are a little too noisy. I don't think I need 50 watts either. In addition, the gain structure of my system is messed up; I can only crack my preamp volume open about 3-4 notches (for full volume).

Help me with some good choices for amplifiers in the 3-4k used range? I am thinking low wattage SET is probably the way to go but don't really know the differing characteristics between 300B, 845, PX25, etc. I have always run my system balanced; are there any good sounding amps out there that fit the low power mold and are a balanced design? I obviously need something that is quiet. Also, I am not sure about what to look for to correct the gain structure (lower gain amps?, but what numbers?).

Some items on my radar right now are Wavelength Cardinal, Dehavilland 845, Art Audio Diavalo (sp?). Are these good choices? (BTW, I really like the looks/design of the Dehavilland).

Thanks for your help in advance everyone.

Chris
cmo
Art Audio is a great value on the second hand market here. Joe Fratus is a great guy and continues to support his amps no matter how old they might be. I think this is the best value and quality set amp out there for the dollar.
Get a 2a3 or 45 amp, with your sensitivity you don't need many watts and both of these tubes sound awesome! I love 2a3's but many people seem to prefer 45's. The Art Audio suggestion is a good one, as is Cary, Wavelength, and Audio Note. It sounds like you're about to get started on a fantastic journey, just remember to enjoy it!
Art audio is a good choice. Another you may want to consider is the Audiopax 88. It is a very innovative design using KT88's. Supposedly they are an excellent match with the Avantgardes.
The cost for a used Art Audio PX-25 should be within the ball park. The s/n ratio, the quietness is astounding, as is the fidelity. Rumored to be Art Audio's finest amp. The quietest amp I've ever hear. Perfect on my Duos. With this amp, you can hear every scrap of music as songs fade out into blackness at the end of a cut. Hearing into the music in that manner really adds to the realism of your listening experience. (Lacking this level of quietness, most other amps/systems cannot capture this low level content.) Note, that your preamp, if it is super sensitive, may be contributing to the inablity to turn up the volume.

You'd be surprised that in many cases, AG's do like power. Though the "little" PX-25 works exceptionally well, able to provide both micro and macro dynamics. And they can boogie too.