Music server install: internet over electric lines

Hi group,
I want to set up a Marantz NA7004 network audio player with my 2 channel system; my plan was to have my cable company run an internet line to my system's location, but today the tech said, given my home's layout, that wasn't possible.

He suggested a device by Asoka, called "PlugLink," which carries internet over your existing power lines.

Has anyone done this? I wanted a dedicated hard line to improve audio quality; I'm worried about noise from current affecting the signal to the player.

The other option is Marantz has a wireless "airplay" unit which could stream music to the NA7004.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Jeff
arcamguy
I've used power links in the past but found that success depended on the electrical wiring arrangements (extensions, breaker circuits, etc.). I had much greater success with MOCA (Multimedia Over Coax) and recommend it.
As Kr4 says, it depends. I tested a pair of powerlink devices, though not the Asoka variety, and while they worked, the throughput wasn't any better than Airplay from an Airport Extreme base station.

And, as he suggests, if the two outlets you're connecting aren't on the same leg in your breaker box you may get no connection at all. On the other hand, the powerlink modules are cheap enough that you won't have lost much trying it.
Arcamguy, I have no experience but digital over power line but doesn't sound good to me. 1st thing comes to mind is NOISE.

I'm running ethernet from router to DAC and sound is much superior to wireless. Currently I'm rolling different ethernet cables.

Another option is a wireless bridge.