Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
Jmyc,

"I've never had a client "hear the cables" and that's because relatively inexpensive Mogami cable is completely neutral to the human ear."

How do you know that? What makes the Mogami cables completely neutral compared to other cables? I find that cables tend to be system dependant. Maybe, in a different system, another brand might more neutral than the Mogami. Or am I not reading your post correctly.
Some things seem so obvious and based on truth. It seems impossible not to all agree on them.
- cables are system dependent in terms of sounding better
- cables are human ear sets dependent in terms of hearing a difference
- cables do sound different and better in some/many systems and to some/many ears
- humans did not evolve from nothing or dirt

Oh we'll, let's continue to debate this based on our individual set of experiences which of coarse sets the lens or filter from which many here debate. Please understand however that your experience is but one conclusion or experience in the greater realm of truth mentioned above.
Discussions about it so much fun!!! I love it. Give me more, for me it is enough. I like to read about other people there opinion. If we would all have the same idea's, it would not be that fun anymore. For long time the Valhalla loudspeakercable was the fastest cable for money. But 2 weeks ago I had by far the shortest and quickest low freq. respons I heard so far at my tests. It was with the Audioquest Redwood. I will write a review in about 4 weeks about this cable. Wenn you use this cable you understand the meaning of black better than ever before. Mmmmmmmmm...cables
I've heard the Mogami, they are just ok...nothing special. I enjoyed Analysis Plus Oval One just as much or more in my system. Audiolabyrinth is correct, the audiophiles need better cable. He's probably correct about why too. But what it boils down to for me is that once I had heard what some of the better quality cable do for an audio system, there was no going back to $100 "studio standard" ic cable.

Also, I have to agree with Zd542 that yes, cables are system dependent. So...if you want to know what cables can do for your system, simply try different cables at the top of your price range and then trust your ears. Most will find cabling with a sonic signature that is pleasing that presents the music the way they like it to be and for reasonable cost. I don't know what the big deal is? If God forbid you do not find any "high dollar" cable that you like, you can resell it easily in the used market!

This thread brings to mind a quote from author Robert M. Pirsig

"Quality is a direct experience independent of and prior to intellectual abstractions".
Robert M. Pirsig

So maybe just use an open mind, several hundred bucks or more, and hours of QUALITY listening time to select your favorite cables! If all else fails...ask Audiolabyrinth and he will tell you what you should get! hehe

Oh yeah, one more Pirsig quote for the cable haters:

~ "The absence of quality is the essence of squareness!"