Auto audio

Hello AudiogoNers,

I know this isn't a topic often addressed here, but I would like some recommendations about a head unit for my car. Shopping at the usual suspects I find that not one of them talks about the sound quality of their gear but rather whether there's an I-Pod jack and if it's Bluetooth compatible. I've had a Nakamichi for a couple of years, but the transport is getting weak and I'm looking to replace it. Are there any choices besides Nakamichi and McIntosh for those who want good sound in their cars?
128x128macdonj
I have been out of car audio for a while now, but Eclipse by Fujitsu Ten makes some excellent head units (at least they used to). Their top line units ere line level only and were built specifically with sound quality in mind. The last one I had was the 8051 model. They are not cheap, but the sound quality is excellent. That model also had an external parametric unit that was designed to be used with it.
Csmgolf,

Eclipse doesn't make consumer audio anymore. That's how I ended up finding the Nakamichi I'm using now. Looks like I'll have to go with a new Nakamichi CD400. Even Nakamichi is downgrading, they used to market a CD500 with a bit of DSP, but that doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Ohlala,

As you know, auditioning head units is hit-of-miss at best since they are in a sound board with unknown amps and speakers. I'd have to purchase a couple, install one, listen then repeat. Ugly, ugly.
As a generalization, from my experience, I do not agree that auditioning gear on those boards is futile. Unlike home audio, car audio head unit differences are not really that sophisticated. They are largely a function of tonal balance. I think you are saving yourself some wasted effort, though, just buying a Nak. Hope it all goes smoothy.
Check out the Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit. It is designed for the audiophile with outstanding SQ. Pioneer makes another model that builds on this design, but I forget the model. So I would recommend either of those.