Are There Alternatives to the Marantz 10 B ?

Hi,

I've been sinking my money (what little I have) into a DAC DSD upgrade and to pay for it, I decided to sell my Magnum Dynalab tuner. I liked the MD fm tuner but I wasn't ecstatic about it. For one thing, I was constantly wrestling with the dipole antenna to bring in the signal and that got rather inundating. The sound was really very good at certain times but rarely when a program came on that I had been waiting to hear.

So what I've been wondering is whether or not stereo fm tube tuners exist that offer a great audiophile sound but that don't receive the same level of attention as the Marantz 10 B? I suppose the hope is to find that 'build your own tuner kit' or advice on purchasing a particular tuner and how to modify it and all of this for a reasonable sum of money. And when it's all said and done, if I've still fallen short of my aim, then I'll get a job in the diamond mines and save until I've got enough for the Marantz 10 B.

Thanks!
goofyfoot
Yogiboy, I had the MD 90 with the MD ST-2 dipole antenna and it was sketchy regarding the signal. I could have purchased the signal sleuth but decided that I would like to try a tube tuner over the MD 90 and to then search around for an external antenna. The problem is that I live on the 1st floor of an apartment building so an external antenna could be tricky.
By the way, the REL Precedent has me fascinated. Isn't this tuner initially a mono tuner that can then be modified into stereo?
Goofyfoot, like many of the tube tuners that came a bit later (ca. 1960) the REL Precedent (ca. 1954) is mono in itself but provides a multiplex output jack which can be connected to an external multiplex adapter component. The combo comprises a stereo tuner. As you probably realize, the Scott 310D I mentioned is similar in that respect.

IME with the particular examples I've had, the Precedent + MPX-100 or LM-35 (I've had both) and the two 10B's were very similar in terms of weak signal reception capability, and significantly better in that respect than any other tuners I've ever had. In terms of sound quality, the Precedent + MPX-100 or LM-35 clearly bested both 10B's, although condition could certainly have been a factor in that.

BTW, when I said I suspected that the cost of a 310D + MPX-100 or LM35 or 335 would be less than $500, my guess is that the multiplex adapter would be about 60% of that total, and the tuner about 40%.

Good luck in your search! Regards,
-- Al
Thanks again Al for better clarifying. It's a blessing to have this network of knowledge right at my fingertips. Is there a link or a PDF file, etc... that can explain the Multiplex Adapter and how to apply it? My knowledge of tuners is slightly better than knowing how to turn them off and on.
Thanks, Tony (TLS49). Also, a photo of the MPX-100 can be seen here, and of the Scott LM-35 or 335 here (the unmarked photo above the model number listings). The LM-35 and 335 are the same except that the LM-35 came as a kit, and I believe the color of the faceplates is different.

I couldn't find a user manual for either model, but as the diagram Tony provided indicates you simply connect the MPX (multiplex) output of the tuner to the MPX input of the Multiplex Adapter, and the Left and Right outputs of the Multiplex Adapter to your preamp, all via RCA cables. The front panel controls are simple and pretty much self-explanatory.

Vintage tube tuners from that era that are mono but have a mpx output tend to sell these days for much lower prices than comparable stereo models, so even though a mpx adapter in excellent condition may sell for $250 to $300 or more, combining an MPX-100 or LM-35/335 with a mono tuner can often get you as good or better quality for significantly less money than investing in a stereo tube tuner.

Regards,
-- Al